pic: Team 1114 - Simbot SS

The drive is powered by a 4 CIMs in two AM Gen 1 shifters, with 4"x1" IFI wheels with wedgetop. High gear is approximately 15 fps and low is around 6 fps. The robot is still around 5.5 lbs under weight.

The launcher is powered outwards by several pieces of surgical tubing that can be seen going up the back side of the mast in the picture. The surgical tubing pulls the 3/4" anodized aluminum rod out through linear bearings when the winch is released. The winch is powered by a FP motor in a Dewalt with the backdrive pins left in to keep it retracted. The pulley with the cable on it is engaged and released with a dog similar to the AM shifter. The launcher is fixed to the mast so the angle is always the same and The claw is rotated with the other FP motor with the stock gearbox after a few modifications making it easy to interface with. The roller itself is run off the RS-550 motor and a gearbox made using the gears from the other FP gearbox. We also used lots of wood and a fishing pole on the robot.

Actually, they have – as a series of seminars. Specifically, this is their presentation on design and game approach. And it’s even free! Some of the presentations were given at a series of seminars last year in Toronto, and they have been presented at the Championship in the past. Hopefully they will return this year. I saw them in Toronto last year - they were very well done, and incredibly useful. The success of these seminars is not only shown in their team, but the teams they’ve mentored or are mentored by their alumni, such as 1503, 1680, 2056 and 2166, as well as many more Canadian teams who were at the series of seminars in Toronto and those who have seen them at the championships.

Wow, High Gear is only 15 fps?!?! I trust your words over my guesstimation any day, but it definitely seemed faster than 15fps. What is the reduction in sprockets to the IFI wheels?

Sorry, but you lead to more questions :smiley:

Where are you using wood and fishing pole? From the picture the only fishing pole obviously visible is the flag holder (not saying I don’t believe you, just curious how you used the rest).

The reduction out of the AM to the wheels is 1.25:1 (15:12). Probably just seems faster because of smooth drivers.

The fishing pole is the flag holder, its light, flexible, strong and won’t break easily when entangled. The wood is used on both the gripper and main frame. In the gripper, blocks of wood were cut to fit tightly inside the 1"x2" tubes and hammered into the tubes the pivot points to provide reinforcement. This allows us to bolt the shafts on with a lot more strength and reinforce the bearing holes. In the main frame there are blocks of wood cut from 2x4s that fit between the main rails and the outside plates. The wood acts like aluminum standoffs but is far stronger for a similar weight and was attached easily with wood screws. The large size of the blocks of wood gives better stiffness under moment loads than smaller standoffs (very large moment of area) and at ~1/10 the density of aluminum doesn’t weigh too much.

Hmmm, that is very interesting. What Kind of wood do you use? How does it compare to other materials used to reinforce tube?

White Cedar. We have also used expanding foam to reinforce other tubes on the robot when we wanted to stiffen the entire length and not a specific section. For reinforcing a specific area the wood works extremely well for its weight. The tighter it fits the better though so some of the blocks were hard to hammer into place. I’ve used lexan in the past for this function but the weight of it is unnecessary in most applications and the wood works fine. It provides a huge strength advantage over aluminum tubing alone.

How much wood would a Simbot chuck if a Simbot could chuck wood?

I 2nd the vote for using wood for reinforcement.

We’ve been pounding wood into our frames since 2003. It’s used primarily in the base of our arm this year where the tilt shaft and drive sprocket attach to the arm.

It also lets you get away with using thinner wall tube material (1.5" square 1/16" wall tubing vs. 1/8", for instance), reinforcing with wood only the areas you need to bolt stuff to.

Anyone care to post a closeup of the firing mechanism? I neglected to take any closeup pics of the more notable bots at Midwest (sorry Pavan!).

No, that one is going to remain a mystery for a while. :wink:

Or at least until Karthik can figure out how to get his head out of the box…

Seriously Simbots, beautiful machine, worked like a dream. Your bot made me think I was at a week 5 regional!

Team 1114 and Karthik great design. your team thought out of the box on this one.who would think you could have a arm that can grab and manipulate the ball so well but be a launcher bot at the same time.Fun watching your victory at midwest. CONGRATS!

Another power-house Simbot. Congrats on Midwest.

Your hybrid looks so smooth to actually be getting lane changes signaled. We’re on mechanums this year. We took off our encoders. Except for basic forward, mechanums are somewhat hard to compute the location.

See you at Waterloo.