pic: Team 1322 claw for 2011

The claw is designed to clamp down on the tubes and then rotate them. We drew the parts in CAD and then had The Parts cut by water jet by Tram Tool in Cohoctah Michigan.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like your polycord all turns in the same direction. You might want to consider making an “X” with the polycord in the middle to reverse the direction of one of rollers if that’s the case.

Except if the purpose of the polycord is to rotate the tube once it is inside the clamp.

Why rotate the tube with rollers when you could put the gripper on a wrist joint?

KISS. If the top and bottom are run by two different motors, why add a degree of freedom you don’t need for your design?

For a roller claw I completely agree, but this is a pinch claw with rolling cord used for spinning. The rollers wouldn’t otherwise be on there at all.

Interesting that there’s two rollers on the bottom and one on the top. Wouldn’t that route 2/3 of the power to the bottom rollers, such that if you try to rotate the tube upwards it’d mostly just make a quick exit? Or would the pinch hold it in?

I’m not sure if this intake will even get the tube inside the clamp without some sort of “pulling” force" (like the one made with two opposing rollers)

Our design in on a vertical lift. When a tube is inserted into the claw in automatically closes than we can rotate the tube vertically. We do this so we do not have to raise the lift the additional 30 inches to get the tubes above the hook post. We also can tilt the whole mechanism down to the floor for floor pick up. If the cords were going the wrong direction it would not work for us but it works very well.