pic: Team 1388: Finished

Well. Not even 8pm on Monday night, the robot was crated up and waiting for FedEx. How does it work? Simple.

Conveyor belt in the back picks up balls and drops them into the hopper. Total capacity … at least 20. In the picture, theres 10. Once loaded, the driver gets within 6ft of the goal, lines up and hits a button on the controller. Then the ultrasonic sensors take over and position the robot perfectly for a dump into the goal (this takes about a seconds … if that). Once in the right spot, the door drops down and unloads into the goal. Balls can be shot into the “wings” above for human loading. The robot does NOT shoot. The frame is by far, the sturdiest thing we have ever built. All aluminum is 1/8" wall. 6wd with pneumatic wheels. 4 CIM drive, so theres plenty of power at the wheels with a good amount of traction. The robot is capable of spinning in place. Theres about 4 different auton programs, some offensive, and others defensive. The bot has NO problem getting up the ramp either.

To see it in action, open the video linked below. Feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.eaglerobotics.com/videos/teaser.wmv

That is the coolest low goal bot I have seen so far!

How well does the sonar-sensor things work?

How much does the robot weigh in at?

Nice video too!

How does the hopper extend?

Does anyone on your team own safety glasses? :eek:

That must be the smoothest low-goal robot I’ve seen to date.

http://www.billfredinthenighttime.com/bsoa.GIF

The sonar sensors work really well. It’s actually programmed to display on the OI’s readout how far away (in inches) you are from the wall/goal/object the sensor is seeing. After alot of trial and error with our door, we finally got it in the right spot to drop the door and dump the load.

Robot weighs in at 119.57lbs, w/o bumpers. Bumpers weigh 14.88lbs.

If you’re refering to the top (with the black cloth), there is a steel cable that is looped around the inside of the bot at the top, which goes back to a window motor with a spool on it. At the beginning of the match, the spool is wound up, so the “wings” are basically closed, and fit into the size limit. Once the match starts, the drivers can reverse the spool, and the wings are pulled out (see the bungee cords? we actually started with springs, but we couldn’t find the ones we wanted, and the ones we tried kept getting sprung.

As for safety glasses … we don’t wear them when we’re programming :stuck_out_tongue: If someone had a drill out, or any other power tool, they would be required to have safety glasses on … or suffer the wrath of me (I’m actually pretty strict about it)

You can see it from a few more angles here.

Well, good explanation but im gona have to say that still…its not safe.
But anywho what is that big mouth looking thing in the back round?

Oh, nice movie. Really detailed.

I don’t know what “i_am_Doug” is talking about, but you have a freaking awesome robot.

Check out the videos on their website (btw, nice; very fast): http://www.eaglerobotics.com/video.php

The belt looks very fast and effective while not over-complicating things and if the autonomous works as well as you make it sound… you guys are set! Congratulations!

Good luck in the 2006 season!

I’m that big mouth looking thing in the background… Nice choice of picture Mike, thanks :stuck_out_tongue: I was yawning, I swear.

As for the autonomous, we have a program that will score all ten balls very consistently and another that gets them most of the time. There are also a number of defensive programs that are meant to disrupt the opponents’ code. We even have one that dances to the Mexican Hat Dance. It’s not very usefull, but it sure does help to ease some tension on those late programming nights. We might end up running it in the pits at the UC Davis regional.

AWESOME Robot :slight_smile:
What did you use for bumpers?
Thanks

Pool noodles and Cordura.

As for the Mexican Hat dance, If I have time, I’ll compress the video and post it.