Well … the ratchet didnt perform as we anticipated at Sac, and neither did the FP. On a side note, we were unable to control our lower boom and ended up locking it, thus freeing up the van door.
Since we didnt get into the finals we spent about 4 hours working on the arm, using the stuff we had for the VD, and ended up mouting, and getting it all chained up (ironically we took an extra sprocket for something completely different, but didnt end up needing it, so we had everything we needed to convert it.
A special thanks to the 2 guys at the 254 Machine shop (cant remember their names, but they were both machinists for NASA) for all the work they helped us with this weekend.
If you were hoping to see the ratchet, stop by the 1388 pits in Atlanta, I’m going to see about making a little jig to show other teams how we mounted it and used it.
For teams that wanted to use the ratchet idea on their bot, I would suggest prototyping it and testing it heavily before you send it into a match. It requires alot of tweaking, but if you can get it dialed in, it works great. It isnt just hardware, theres alot of software r&d for getting the servo to lock in at the right times.
If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me or the other active CD member from 1388 - jgannon. Good luck, hope to see you guys in Atlanta.