pic: Team 1480 Kicker plumbing

Our kicking control diagram. Extra solenoids for conservation of surge air and control of kick speed.

Explain please exactly what you are trying to do here. Especially what is that 60psi storage box.

i am… very confused. Anyone care to explain what’s going on here?

I’m pretty sure I understand the diagram, but here’s what I don’t get:
If the solenoid valve is limiting your flow, then how is that changed by placing 60 PSI tanks after one valve, but before another valve? Doesn’t the second valve limit the flow to the same as what you would have had without the tanks and second valve added to the system?

Are you able to fully discharge your system using only the Parker pressure vent plug valve, as required by <R79>?

A ha, you are setting up a pneumatic spring, our team looked into it, its a way to get the energy from your pneumatics quicker. Since the pnuematics is only going to give you so much energy, delivering it quicker is your only chance to take a longer shot with the pnuematics.

I apologize, I should have added more explanation.

Our kicker operates by initially being latched back. The 60 psi storage “box” is one of the storage tanks. When the kicker is latched back the green arrows indicate the solenoid alignment, which allows the partially retracted cylinder to be precharged to 60 psi. To kick, the latch is released.

During retraction the solenoids are aligned to the red arrows.
Solenoid#2 is connected via brass fittings to the 60 psi storage and the kick cylinder. Solenoid #2 is added to conserve air that would otherwise be lost during retraction, minimizing recharge time for the next kick.
We may drop #2 if it looks like flow will be restricted too much.

Solenoid #3 is added to change kick distance by throttling the discharge rate. The “FAST” throttle valve is really schematic, since that won’t be throttled at all. Note that on this valve inlet pressure is coming from the cylinder discharge. This is necessary in order to switch valve positions. (The solenoids don’t actually switch the valves, they just open small pilot valves that allow air pressure to switch the valves).

The entire system is can be depressurized with a manual valve.