pic: Team 1501 (T.H.R.U.S.T.) 2009 Skyhawk

No more teasing. This is the real deal.
Meet Team 1501’s “Skyhawk”

:smiley: super cool, nice use of rivets,

BEST. ROBOT. EVER. O.O

pardon my stupidity, but how does it shoot?

looks super dooper pretty :smiley:

How do you guys manage to build the most amazing robots year after year? Somehow you always manage to make my favorite robot. You’re awesome.

I hope it performs as well as it looks! When will we get to see more pictures of it?

That is soooooo pretty… :ahh: Looks like it belongs in a Pixar movie, not on a FIRST field, although I’m sure it’ll be a fierce competitor! How are you shooting them, and how long does it take to reload?

Very, very nice. I think it looks even nicer than the '06 1501 model (more reserved). I particularly like the pneumatic shooter, makes for a much smaller and cleaner package than a ton of wheels. So, what are the vital stats? Weight, ball capacity, range, firing rate, etc.

DUDE I love this bot, if only if only I had seen this before season. Jk, vids would be nice.

HOLY COW! Another nice one from 1501! :yikes:

That’s a real beaut guys… is the drive 4wd skid steer?

Any video in the works?

Again, fantastic machine.

-q

OMG ITS SOO COOL.
IT’s like a whale bot, that spits balls, or something i don’t even know! this thing must be able to eat other robot with that huge gaping mouth!!!

Not only is it one of the most beautiful FRC robots I’ve ever seen, but it makes the most wonderful “Ding!” sound each time it scores a moon rock.

It reminds me of a Dr. Who style “villainous” robot… I like it!

Best of luck,

Mike

That is one beautiful robot. (You guys and your rivets… seriously.:rolleyes:) I love the exit sign, by the way. Good luck this season! :smiley:

So, what are the vital stats? Weight, ball capacity, range, firing rate, etc.

Height: 59 7/8"
Length: 27 3/4"
Width: 37 7/8"
Weight: 116 lbs Nothing had to be removed to make weight :slight_smile:
Ball Capacity: 7 ish
Range: 2-10 feet variable
Firing rate: Slow but being worked on.

Like Alan mentioned we have a very distinctive bell sound when we shoot. This is due to the resonate frequency of the large aluminum striker plate on the cyclinder.
We pick up the balls and transport them outside of the robot perimeter while the hooks stay within said perimeter.
Our progremmer was very good. We can lead the target and put the balls in the trailer.

pardon my stupidity, but how does it shoot?

Not a stupid question. The balls come up the spine and are transported over the top of the shooter where they drop down into the shooter bowl. An air cylinder/striker plate strikes the ball and sends it on it’s way.

does your turret rotate? if it does,how did you get the piston to rotate with it?

The camera rotates to find, and lock onto, the target trailer, than it brings the shooter turret in line to make the shot.
Turret can also be manually controlled. We have 180 degress of movement.

I got to see this bot at a pre-ship scrimmage yesterday. VERY cool and will definately be a force at Boilermaker.

I have to say that I find myself staring at your robot year after year. It’s one of those robots that I look forward to seeing, because I know it’ll amaze me every time! :yikes: Great job you guys!

I’m the programmer that Wayne was referring to. I thought I would explain how the shooter does it’s stuff. The camera code is a slightly modified version of the Two Color Tracking Example. Once the camera has a lock, I do a bunch of trig to get the distance and therefore the velocity of the moon rock. I also get the angle the turret needs to point at and, using a 1000 pulse per revolution encoder, turn the turret to the correct angle.

Most of the time, the camera can lock on quickly to a target and all the operator has to do is fire. However, if the target is moving very erratically or the camera is blocked by something, the operator can take full control of the turret and firing speed.

If any of the shooting components should fail (it shouldn’t, but with other robots ramming into us, it is a possibility), we still have another option. That “huge gaping mouth”, as roboticWanderor put it so well, is capable of holding 7 or 8 moon rocks held back by the thresher. We can deliver these balls to human players or even other robots by reversing the thresher speed (controlled by the driver) and regurgitating the moon rocks (seriously, that’s what it looks like).

We will be holding our usual Count-the-Rivet contest at Boilermaker.
We don’t know what the prize will be, but it will be nice.

The total count is not 1501