pic: Team 1708 2018 Drive Chassis

Team 1708’s West Coast drive base with 3 CIM gearboxes and 6 wheel drive.

Any reason you guys are using High-grip over colsons?

I can’t speak for them, but my team made the same decision for one simple reason… ground clearance. We wanted 6" wheels so we could more easily ensure we weren’t going to get stuck on the ramp. With 4" wheels, it’s a more difficult prospect.

Read rule R32.

To further clarify, R32 is the rule about gaps in the frame behind the bumpers. You’ll have to add standoffs to make sure that there isn’t a >8in wide gap in the frame. I don’t believe that wheels count as the frame for this rule, so you’ll have to add a few more pieces.

Exactly the same reason we went with the 6" wheels. We wanted to make sure we have enough ground clearance for the ramp, and the bump in the middle of the field.

Read rule R32.

R32. BUMPERS must be supported by the structure/frame of the ROBOT (see Figure 8-8). To be considered supported, a minimum of ½ in. (~12.7 mm) at each end of each BUMPER wood segment must be backed by the FRAME PERIMETER. “Ends” exclude hard BUMPER parts which extend past the FRAME PERIMETER permitted by R30, part B. Additionally, any gap between the backing material and the frame: A. must not be greater than ¼ in. (~6 mm) deep, or B. not more than 8 in. (~20 cm) wide.

Please understand this is not the FINAL iteration of the drive base, as the bumpers will be sitting on a 1"x1" extruded aluminum rail that sits on top of the extended pieces you see there.

I.E - There will be no gaps in that the bumpers sit on.

Read below and thanks for the input. As I know the picture doesn’t clarify just yet there are standoffs and a 1x1 piece that runs the length of the frame for the bumpers to attach to.

Colsons can be 5", 6" or larger. They just take a little more work to interface with hex shafts.

Yeah, we didn’t want to put in the work. Buying 4" Colsons that are already set up for hex is easy… buying 6" colson’s and doing that ourselves… more effort than we want to spend on wheels.

Looking awesome! I see you are a fan of spark stacks as well :cool:

Thanks! Good catch on the stacks. Yes we are. Saves so much space (for activities). Hopefully you guys are doing well? See you at Pittsburgh!

We are doing very well! Our robot is now a terrifying ~8 feet tall…

Unfortunately we aren’t coming to Pittsburgh this year though :frowning:

Oh wow didn’t even look at the team list so I shouldn’t of made an assumption haha. Well good luck this year! Hopefully that is during game time config and not pre match height.

Are the Sparks stacked after all the wiring is done? Are the status LED’s visible somehow?

The Sparks are stacked after wiring is done but the wiring is easily accessible through all four sides. The LED’s are visible and able to be readily available for inspection.

Of course it is not pre match height haha! ::rtm:: Good Luck to you too!

I see you stacked the Victors too. I’ll have to remember that trick.