pic: Team 1714's 2011 Robot

9180ebc3f5f9da6a2680107d05f126bc_l.jpg

Hey could you post some specs, I would really like to know the weight on this thing.

Wow! :yikes:

It looks like the arm extension is actuated with a pneumatic cylinder, but I can’t figure out what makes the arm rotate. Is another pneumatic cylinder used for this purpose, or does a motor drive it?

Yes, a single motor drives the arm. The cylinder is a counterbalance.
The weight is very close to 120 lbs

It’s CLEAR! Now it’s time to fire up the motors and get going!

Anyway. Sorry about the really bad pun. It looks awesome and I hope to see it in action at Milwaukee.

Does this robot have a jellyfish based name?

1714 works near a lexan factory, so their robots are mostly built of lexan!

What’s better than robotics? :slight_smile:

For some reason, I am reminded of Wonder Woman’s invisible plane. Neat design!

I have always ALWAYS wanted to build a polycarbonate robot. Great job.

Can you explain the cylinder as a counterbalance? Is it in a closed loop system?

1714’s done it every year since their founding year. In 2006 and 2007, they used kitbot rails, but since then the robots have not used structural metal.

The cylinder is mechanical, there is no programming involved. When the compressor turns on, it is pressurized and ready to go. There is a relief valve to let air out when necessary.

However, the arm motor is run by a closed PD loop for preset heights.

So you set the regulator to the pressure you want and just leave the solenoid in one position without controlling it? Interesting and innovative solution.

I’m surprised noone has mentioned this yet but OBVIOUSLY they had to make their minibot with polycarb. :smiley: lol

They work out of “American Acrylics” so its Acrylic not Polycarbonate. Only thing I’m wondering about is the minibot, Polycarbonate is allowed but, rules say nothing about Acrylic. Unless I’m wrong and they use both now.

While 1714 works out of American Acrylics, all robot parts are made of polycarbonate. Acrylic would quickly, quickly break.

Acrylic is not allowed but I thought 1714 always used Polycarb.

Invisible robot, nice. :slight_smile:

Okay, that’s just cool.

Cool cool cool cool.

Ah nevermind then. I retract my previous statement.

Incorrect. Acrylic is allowed, provided you don’t go over cost and weight constraints and all those other general rules. However, using it on a robot? Not if it can be avoided; it breaks too darn easily on impact.

BTW, there’s a robot in that picture? I only see a bunch of wires and other miscellaneous parts…:smiley: