pic: Team 241 Propellers in Shroud Especially Designed for Thrust

Used the NACA technical report 4126 to eek out extra thrust from the shroud design. (thanks to team 1771).

Shaped lightweight Polystyrene foam- squared-tipped props.

This is quite awesome. Did it actually help out a lot?

While I can’t speak for the team itself, I can say (by myself working field reset at the CT Regional event & seeing their robot up close) it did help them get a nice boost when needed it seemed, & also cleaned the field of the dust, AND allowed for a nice cool breeze for all of us standing along side the field.
I got chills as they drove by from the strength of the breeze! :cool: :yikes:

I’m quite surprised they were not picked in CT for elimination matches to be honest due to that competitive advantage I saw.

Looks spiffy. Just wondering, what motors is it powered by? 2 CIMs? Also, what RPM do they go at?

Thanks.

Thanks for noticing. It took us a few qualifying matches for our drive teams to use the props to full advantage. For the last two matches we had the driver constantly yell the direction at least once a second: straight, straight, straight, left, left, left and keeping the fans on at 75% power all the time and jumping to full power when we wanted extra push). By the final qualifying matches we had no problem taking any robot we faced anywhere on the field we wanted to take them.
(If only we had had more practice: if only…). We toyed with naming the bot “the big bad wolf” http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

The 10x3.8 SF props (with the tips squared off) were direct driven by FisherPrice at 8200 RPMs. We estimate about 5-8 pounds of thrust in its final configuration.

We were bit surprised not to picked for the elimination rounds. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
It could be that the scouts did not recognize how dominating the vectored thrust was once we got it coordinated. Many scouts only seemed primarily interested in shooting capacity. As far as I could tell there was only one primarily defensive pick (181).

Team 743 was also a defensive robot that made it to the finals at CT with 175 and 1100

You are very right, Tim: Team 753 was clearly a defensive pick. Thanks for setting me straight.