pic: Team 2471's ball shifting spool

Got our custom ball shifting winch spool assembled yesterday. it’s looking very promising, and it doesn’t weigh too much considering it’s made entirely of steel.
It will be run by a PG71 with an 18 volt motor.

Did you guys manufacture that yourself? That’s a legit piece of engineering! :wink:

I second that. Looks completely professional, I would have guessed it was off the shelf. Care to share how you made it?

I second that. Looks completely professional, I would have guessed it was off the shelf. Care to share how you made it?

Thanks, I wish we had the machines capable of making that in house. Thankfully we have a mentor who has access to a really nice lathe and knows someone with a really nice wire EDM machine.
The assembly has three major parts: the spool, the ball carrier, and the shifter rod.

The ball carrier is turned to its outer shape on a lathe, the holes for the ball bearings and a key way are cut on a mill.
The shifter rod is turned to the correct outer dimensions then the end is threaded.
The spool is turned on a lathe and a profile for interacting with the bearings is wire EDM’d.