pic: Team 3467 2016 Teaser #1

10f428f767be2b2358fe4a9776775f7c_l.jpg

This looks sketchy because of the wood, and yet really robust/effective at the same time because of they way it is constructed. Nice job.
How are you planning on mounting bumpers?
EDIT: Nevermind, looked up the team number. Ignore question.

holy crap that wiring made me feel nauseous. You’ll really want to clean it up and if you don’t you’ll be regretting it when you are trying to figure out why something is not working.

holy crap that wiring made me feel nauseous. You’ll really want to clean it up and if you don’t you’ll be regretting it when you are trying to figure out why something is not working.

Knowing this team I am sure that their competition robot is going to be great. It looks great guys!

While constructive criticism can be harsh, it should also be delivered with courtesy and respect. You do not know this team’s circumstance: for many teams it is a victory to wire a robot so that it can even turn on.

I suppose when you build your prototype chassis you take time to carefully route and label every wire, zip tie it down, make your perfectly radiused bends, and then redo that every time you need to tear it apart to try something new. I truly applaud your high standards.

In New England they build robots so tough they don’t need no stinkin’ bumpers.

Plywood isn’t sketchy, it’s a material with its own strengths (cheap, easy to work with, strong) and weaknesses (not “cool” according to some people). I like to say it’s a cutting edge composite. IMO many teams would be well served by building more simple working things out of plywood than complicated not working things out of aluminum.

It took us a long time to convince certain team members that the coolest and best looking robot is one that wins.

Function over form every single time.

I’ve never been able to convince my team lead of this. I have to make sure the business team has 3 pounds of robot to do with as they please. Since weight hasn’t been a huge problem in recent years, it’s a good compromise.

I’ll give a hearty amen to this!

You folks DO realize that this may be in all likelihood their practice robot and their competition machine may be a twin but with different materials?

And yes as others have mentioned, show a bit of courtesy when providing your “constructive criticism” Not everyone can be as good as you are… :wink:

Great job on the build guys, good luck this season!

Just for clarification on this bot, we were given the chance to participate in the filming of a documentary called A Different Mind and received an extremely limited set of parts and six hours to design, build, and program a robot for FIRST Stronghold with this being the result. This why the wiring is such a mess and we are using the bottom of a tote as the back of the intake. While FIRST will not be the sole focus of the documentary, it will hopefully help to further spread FIRST and other similar programs.

This build definitely helped convince me that plywood is a great material and COTS parts are amazing:)

Sounds like it was a great opportunity for your team and I bet all of you learned some valuable things by participating. Very cool!

Plywood is a GREAT option for Robots. In fact check back in some of the archives or Google team 173 RAGE. They used to make their entire chassis out of 3/4" Marine Plywood “back in the day”

Maybe not this year considering the latest Game Update :wink:

3467’s robot and ours are going to be toast(ed)…