pic: Team 3824 Chassis Pic 1

The chassis for Ultimate Ascent for Team 3824, the RoHAWKtics.

what is your frame made out of? Carbon Fiber?

You can’t post that and not tell us what it weighs! :slight_smile: Very cool application of materials.

what is your frame made out of? Carbon Fiber?

The gold parts on the corners were printed on a 3D printer. The material is ULTEM. The cross members are carbon fiber.

You can’t post that and not tell us what it weighs! Very cool application of materials.

Thanks! We think it is pretty cool too! It will be interesting to see how well it actually holds up in competition. Even if it does have some issues, trying something different has definitely been Inspiring to the team!

We did not weigh just the chassis as pictured - should have done that! But we did weigh last night with both our shooter and (as yet unproven 30 pt) climber and we were at 105. More than we expected!

ULTEM is a really sweet material. Do you have any kind of core in the cross members, or is it hollow tube? And did you guys layup the fiber yourselves, or do you have a sponsor who made it?

I’m really curious to see how this holds up. It’s a really unique setup, and the integrated gearboxes give you a ton of space in the center.

Major kudos to your team for pulling this off, it looks very professional.

You’ve got your mecanum wheels on incorrectly, for what that’s worth. It looks like the top two (in the picture) should be swapped.

Do you have any kind of core in the cross members, or is it hollow tube? And did you guys layup the fiber yourselves, or do you have a sponsor who made it?

There are two carbon fiber tubes in the cross members. One of our sponsors did the layup for us.

You’ve got your mecanum wheels on incorrectly, for what that’s worth

Oops! I think the wheels were just slid on quickly for the photo op, they came back off while they worked on the electronics. It is driving well now, so they must have got it right when it counted! :slight_smile:

I’d double check it anyways. The rollers should make an X when you look at them from the top.

I’d also like to know whether or not you laid up the carbon fiber yourself, as my team does our own carbon fiber.

I do agree that it looks cool :cool:

Edit: Looks like my curiosity got answered before I managed to post. It still looks cool though

What gearboxes are you using and are those miniCIMs, they look a bit short?

I’d also like to know whether or not you laid up the carbon fiber yourself, as my team does our own carbon fiber.

I’m hoping we are able to do that next year. One of our students went over and worked with our sponsor, and we are hoping to have a team of students back to do more. Next year, I’m hoping they can help other teams in our area interested in trying this.

What gearboxes are you using and are those miniCIMs, they look a bit short?

Yep, those are the minis. It is one of the Banebot gearboxes.

Ultem is such a cool material.

Just out of curiosity, how do you itemize it in the BOM? Do you include just the cost of the material required to make the part? Or do you factor in the support as well?

This… looks awesome. So superb. I’m jealous.
One thing though: Aren’t we only allowed TWO mini CIMs?

R32 allows a total of 4 mini-CIMs + BAG motors.

Loving the carbon fiber. We lay it up for panels (shooter base/box, electronics mounting, etc), but hadn’t thought about tubes as structural members. Do you know what the layers are, specifically? Where does it strain?

Just a note - If the sponsor employees are not team members, then labor costs are included in the BOM price (R14).

Just out of curiosity, how do you itemize it in the BOM? Do you include just the cost of the material required to make the part? Or do you factor in the support as well?

We include just the cost of materials. The printers are in the same facility where our team (as well as other area teams) meets. One of our mentors and some of the students do all the work associated with the printing.

Do you know what the layers are, specifically?

I’m sorry, I do not know the specifics. I’ll try to find out.

Just a note - If the sponsor employees are not team members, then labor costs are included in the BOM price (R14).

I’ll re-read R14 and make sure we account for it correctly.

Don’t forget this important paragraph in the R14 blue box:
It is in the best interests of the Teams and FIRST to form relationships with as many organizations as possible. Teams are encouraged to be expansive in recruiting and including organizations in their team, as that exposes more people and organizations to FIRST. Recognizing supporting companies as Sponsors of, and members in, the Team is encouraged, even if the involvement of the Sponsor is solely through the donation of fabrication labor.

Yep. Based on the description of the printing process, I’d venture they have it correct now. We’ve been down this before, and my litmus test tends to be ‘do the boss and the employees doing the work know who we and FIRST are?’ i.e. have I created a mutual relationship, or am I just a customer?