If the front and back plates are not the same, why not get rid of all the extra holes in the front plate? and maybe lighten it a little more (haven’t decided if thats a good idea or not though)
But why cant they be identical plates? If they can be identical, we can add the countersink with the mill and just cut 2 identical copies for the front and back plate. Much easier
They are identical. It’s just that I added configurations for countersink holes. Probably a slight misunderstanding there.
As for removing extra holes on the front plate that aren’t being used, it wouldn’t make a big difference since doing so would mean replacing those with something else for support. Even so, not a huge weight difference once again.
Perhaps you can add small gear on the output shaft. sdp-si has a ton of gears for your choosing. Broach a small one and you can fit it on the output hex shaft where you have a spacer. you might have to make a small plate to mount the encoder, else you cant mount the gearbox directly to the 2x1 (which is what i am assuming you are doing)
Or gear it directly to the CIM gear. Looking at your CAD, there seems to be space right next to the CIM. It would solve the problem of needing a dedicated plate just to mount a encoder, but it would make life difficult for your programmers.
I think I see what you are talking about: those shafts that have the gear directly driven by the CIMs.
If encoders are going there, then there would be some math to calculate the rotations on the output shaft, but hopefully that shouldn’t be much of a challenge. In addition, the code would require a value to store the shifting piston state, because high gear and low gear have different speeds.
The real challenge would be its mounting position: say that we put this design with the encoder mounted to the front plate on the shaft directly driven by the gear for the 2016 game. Because of defense, I’m sure that another robot might accidentally break the encoder with some manipulator that goes outside its frame perimeter. And it doesn’t really look like I have room on the reverse side to mount the encoder…