pic: US First Map (Teams per State)

Edit: These are FRC teams only! Sorry I forgot the specify the teams :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I forgot to mention in the title, this is a 2015 map. Won’t be accurate for 2016! Thanks

Edit2: I am currently working on the numbers for other statistics. I plan to make maps for all the statistics I do and when i do, I’ll probably start another CD Thread. Here is a link to my current stats:
https://docs.google.com/a/perryschools.org/spreadsheets/d/1-XCCZH05U-z7S522ORKY8rk3aU4MXNBK-e0_WuLEi1s/edit?usp=sharing

So… Today, I got bored so as a FIRSTer who loves statistics, I causally decided to make a map. Just going to say that entering in each state’s abbreviation was rough; I had to go back to 7th grade History and look some up. Haha. Enjoy!

Alabama.....9
Alaska.....1
Arizona.....52
Arkansas.....18
California.....238
Colorado.....35
Connecticut.....47
Delaware.....4
Florida.....64
Georgia.....60
Hawaii.....26
Idaho.....13
Illinois.....58
Indiana.....49
Iowa.....9
Kansas.....22
Kentucky.....12
Louisiana.....27
Maine.....21
Maryland.....36
Massachusetts.....64
Michigan.....345
Minnesota.....192
Mississippi.....8
Missouri.....69
Montana.....2
Nebraska.....0
Nevada.....10
New Hampshire.....33
New Jersey.....73
New Mexico.....5
New York.....147
North Carolina.....50
North Dakota.....3
Ohio.....56
Oklahoma.....48
Oregon.....43
Pennsylvania.....74
Rhode Island.....6
South Carolina.....41
South Dakota.....2
Tennessee.....45
Texas.....136
Utah.....20
Vermont.....3
Virginia.....75
Washington.....109
West Virginia.....4
Wisconsin.....41
Wyoming.....4
Washington D.C......13
Puerto Rico.....1 (U.S. FIRST counts Puerto Rico as apart of the U.S.)

Looks awesome. I’m guessing this is based on FRC teams, as I know our state as alot more teams than whats listed.

Looks great, thanks for making this! I’m actually in the process of making an interactive site with this info as web design practice. :stuck_out_tongue:

THANK YOU!

I’ve been wanting this for a long time. Excellent work!

Indeed. Expect the teams/state to be in the thousands for many states if you included FTC/FLL/jFLL

Has anyone done a “Teams/Square Mile” of each state? It’d be interesting to see the team density in district areas vs. regional areas.

Haha, Yes. Sometimes I Forget that there are also FTC teams and FLL Teams. These are strictly FRC Teams!

I actually was considering doing that so sometimes this weekend when I get bored, I’ll do the math and probably multiply it by some fraction to make it easier to read so it won’t be like “.00003423” haha. Michigan and Connecticut will probably be the most dense based of my guesses.

I would bet Alaska is the least dense. That is before their incorporation into PNW.

I’d throw Hawaii into the list of potential contenders as well.

Pretty sure Nebraska is the least dense. :stuck_out_tongue:

0 straight across…haha

Best thing about Minnesota is that we have more FRC teams than high school hockey teams.

NYC and Long island (Lower NY) would be very dense as well I know its not a state but to people from here its so different it might as well be its own small state.

Within 5 miles of my house there is 4 teams
2869 - Bethpage Regak Eagles (My team)
353 - Plainvew/Old Bethpage PoBots
1468 - Hicksville JBirds
527 - Plainedge Red Dragons

As opposed to dealing with formatting on chiefdelphi, here is a Link to a Google Doc, that lists the team density based on land mass of each state (Plus DC and Puerto Rico). DC and Jersey are top two, while Alaska and Nebraska are the bottom 2. Later on I will calculate multistate districts later on (Alaska will not count as PNW since that would really skew those numbers)

Here’s a map made from the negative log of those densities. The value for DC was so much higher than all the other regions that just using the straight values showed nearly all the states as the same color. Puerto Rico and DC not currently included, unfortunately. I’ll see if I can get DC to work, at least.
Dark blue = highest density, bright green = lowest density, yellow = no teams

FIRST forgets about us too. :stuck_out_tongue: (I kid… sorta)

If that is a qualifier, than Virginia has you beat. And guessing many others would beat VA.

But, to the powers that be, please don’t let that pull the reins on a hockey based FRC game, where frozen water would be as close to a water game as we can get.

I don’t think hockey is a religion in Virginia…

How did you get the excel file to become just an image. I made a map but I’m not sure how you got rid of the boxes behind the image