pic: Vex power from FRC battery

The NERDS are building a PromoBot, using a Vex reciever and controller, FRC type power system, Victor speed controllers and Spikes, and FRC type motors and stuff. To power the Vex controller from the 12v battery, they used a LM7808 integrated circuit 8 volt regulator, mounted on a scavenged heat sink, and powered by a 3 amp fuses circuit on the FRC fuse panel. It seems to work ok.

mad props. i will create this device immediately

Where do I get one of those power converters!!!

There could be quite the market if someone were to sell those…

I know I’d buy one.

LM7808 is a very old part design, it’s just a higher voltage version of the extremely common LM7805 voltage regulator that is used in half of all electronic devices ever made! I got a pair on ebay for a couple bucks (including shipping), you should be able to get one from any electronics parts distributor such as digi-key.

The heat sink doesn’t need to be anything more than a piece of flat aluminum about an inch square…if that…

(edit: digikey has a couple thousand of the LM7808 devices in stock)

Have you had any problems with noise comming from the victors since your using the same battery for both?

-q

Haven’t noticed any, but it might be a good idea to add a big capacitor after the voltage regulator, eh?

If i were you i would keep it on the DL and get a patent before you all of a sudden start seeing them with a Radio Shack logo on them.

Can you patent a voltage regulator that already has a patent? :confused:

Wait… RECURSIVE PATENTING!!! MUAHAHAHAH! :yikes:

-q