Picking Alliance Question?

Posted by Chris Team 19.

Student on team #19, Greenwich Robotics, from Greenwich High School and Bell Atlantic / Steinmetz Machine.

Posted on 3/21/2000 5:54 PM MST

Hi all,
A questions was asked to me today concerning the way in which teams pick thier alliances.
Heres the question?

‘If we are seeded #4 and the #1 seed picks us, can we decline and still pick 4th or do we lose the choice to choose and become the last possible alliance?’

I’m not certain, but I thought the answer was the team loses the choice to choose thier alliance.

~Chris Rill (Team 19)

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 3/21/2000 6:01 PM MST

In Reply to: Picking Alliance Question? posted by Chris Team 19 on 3/21/2000 5:54 PM MST:

The way it works is this,

If you are in the top 8 and are a picking team you control your choice. You can refuse any team above you without losing your chance to pick.

If two teams in the top 8 are allianced then the 9th team slides into 8th and is a picking team.

If you are not in the top 8 (picking team) and you refuse to be selected, you need to pack your robot and go home.

Posted by Greg Mills.

Engineer on team #16, Baxter Bomb Squad, from Mountain Home and Baxter Healthcare.

Posted on 3/21/2000 6:31 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Picking Alliance Question? posted by Michael Martus on 3/21/2000 6:01 PM MST:

:

Also if say you were #4 and the #1 team picked you and you declined, you still have the right to choose but you cannot accept a pick from the #2 or #3 team.

Posted by Ken Patton.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 3/21/2000 7:15 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Picking Alliance Question? posted by Greg Mills on 3/21/2000 6:31 PM MST:

also, if you are the number 9 seed, and someone picks from within the top 8 (so now you are a picker), you can decline an offer but still retain your right to pick

Ken

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 3/22/2000 8:30 AM MST

In Reply to: also… posted by Ken Patton on 3/21/2000 7:15 PM MST:

Ken

I am not so sure about number nine seed on down. Has anyone verified this with FIRST?

Bill B

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/22/2000 8:53 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: also… posted by Bill Beatty on 3/22/2000 8:30 AM MST:

I think that Woodie said it at the Great Lakes Regional.

Essentially, he said refusing a draft only eliminates your ability to accept a draft from someone else.

It does not limit a team’s ability to be a drafter.

Joe J.

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 3/23/2000 7:36 AM MST

In Reply to: Woodie said it at GLR posted by Joe Johnson on 3/22/2000 8:53 AM MST:

That is the way I heard it and read it also, but I heard some statements during the NASA regional last weekend that raised some doubts. If a team is contemplating a rejection and seeds below number eight,(16 at the Nationals) I would verify this or they just might go home early.
Bill B