picking up big balls

Posted by bill whitley at 1/9/2001 10:03 PM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

During our stratagy sessions, we were trying to determine how many teams (percentage wise) would be able to pick up large balls? What our your guesses for the percentage? And are you planning to have your robot able to pick up large balls?

We are planning on NOT being able to pick them up.

Bill

Posted by Justin at 1/9/2001 10:45 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

In Reply to: picking up big balls
Posted by bill whitley on 1/9/2001 10:03 PM EST:

Hello,

FIRST off let me say that I in no way represent the opinons, thoughts of any one team…these are mine and mine alone. I believe that if a good deal of teams pick up on the fact that if you tip the goal and put the ball on top of it in the configuration it still counts as 10 points, this would alow for all 4 balls to count and all four teams to get the 1.1 multiplier. This is what I would do if I were designing a robot.

-Justin

Posted by Travis Covington at 1/10/2001 1:14 AM EST

Student on team #115, MV ROBOTICS, from Monta Vista High School and Hitachi Data Systems - 3com - NASA Ames.

In Reply to: Re: picking up big balls
Posted by Justin on 1/9/2001 10:45 PM EST:

actually that is incorrect…

during kick off they said you could not do that…

the big balls only count if they are placed ON TOP of the goal in its upright position…meaning only 2 total at most :frowning:

sorry but its true…kinda sux but oh well :slight_smile:

-TC

Posted by Matt Berube at 1/10/2001 7:49 AM EST

Engineer on team #49, Delphi Knights, from Buena Vista High School and Delphi Automotive.

In Reply to: Re: picking up big balls
Posted by Justin on 1/9/2001 10:45 PM EST:

: Hello,

: I believe that if a good deal of teams pick up on the fact that if you tip the goal and put the ball on top of it in the configuration it still counts as 10 points, this would alow for all 4 balls to count and all four teams to get the 1.1 multiplier. This is what I would do if I were designing a robot.

: -Justin

The way the goals are constructed, if you lay one on it’s side, it will roll until it rests on one of the flats of the hexagon base. In this orientation, one of the PVC upright tubes is directly up so it would be next to impossible to get any balls to rest on the goal when it is on it’s side. The only way we could think of to make this work would be to hold the goal with your robot so that 2 long PVC tubes are at the top.

:=(

Matt B.
T49