PID tuning using sysid and an analog potentiometer

Hello,

We are currently trying to pid tune an arm that extends outwards. We are using SysID. We only have one motor: CANSparkMax (brushless). However, we use an analog draw-wire potentiometer to meausre our position. However, SysID “encoder selection” doesn’t have an analog option. Which one of these options should we select instead? Looking at WPILIB documentation, none of them match what we need. Is SysID even the right way to PID tune arm position? We are using a ProfiledPIDController to control this arm.

Thank you in advance.
Screenshot 2023-03-12 234720
Screenshot 2023-03-12 235023

As you discovered, sysid does not support this sensor configuration. Given that, your best option is probably going to be to manually tune the PID. You may also find ReCalc helpful.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. I’ve actually never PID tuned CANSparkMax’s manually before. However, looking at other people’s results, the gains usually seem very small. Is this generally the case? Pretty much, I’m just wondering what the best way to manually PID tune a CANSparkMax. :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.