PILOT Signals

Last year there was a person in the Spy Box. This year, on the Airship.

What signals will there need to be between the Alliance and the PILOT?

1. There is a Gear on Lift <1,2,3>
  2. Robot going to Lift <1,2,3>
  3. You forgot to drop the ropes

Can the PILOT provide any useful information? Help a robot climb on the blind side?

A useful piece of information in the alliance station most easily provided by the PILOT: How many gears left until our next rotor?

This will be helpful in determining whether or not to continue going for gears. If there’s X# of gears left to the next rotor and Y# seconds left in the match, do you abandon extra gears to instead score fuel, play some defense, or climb early?

We plan to use LED’s to communicate from the drivers to the pilots. We did this last year to communicate when the robot had a ball to let the drivers know to move on.

Can you tell me what part of H12 that falls in?

I think they were referring to LEDs on the robot.

Edit: Though I guess this could technically be against the fairly ambiguous R68.

They’re using the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, so likely legal on that score. Now, the whole “don’t receive human-originated commands” part of that box is going to be a bit of a pain, until you remember that it’s not technically part of the rule.

OTOH, might just be simpler to use large signage (not obnoxiously large) held by an HP. Also, the Pilot can use body language.

Here is my opinion as a previous driver now retired let me know what other former drivers think, so first time drivers can start off on a good foot.

As far as human player to driver communication was for me was null if I was watching the human player I wasn’t watching tHe robot and there for not driving/ doing somthing that would be beneficial instead times waisting. And saMe would go for the HP if they were watching me then there not doing somthing benificial perhaps pulling a gear, all communication should come from two people.
A. Operators direct opservation of the field, and mechanism function.
B. Drive coach’s direct observation from the field therefore the driver keeps there eyes on the robot, the entire match and can still listen through there ears the communication.
The coach and driver need to keep track of gears. Not the HP communication is alot quicker this way aswell

That just what makes sense to me and what seems most efficient times wise/ accuracy wise but you all may think differently let me know!

As a part-time drive coach (not my primary responsibility and not primarily my responsibility) I agree with you that this should be the coach’s job. The driver needs to be aware of the robot and what’s going on around it, while the coach should be paying attention to the game clock and current scores.

With regards to the pilot signals, has the scoreboard overlay been released yet? If the overlay communicates how many gears are still needed for each rotor, then that’s one less thing the pilot has to worry about. I think communication between the coaches and pilots will be important to warn pilots that a gear is incoming/that a robot is waiting to have a gear removed (if a team decides to go for that strategy).

You could always make custom pilot wear with symbols on their shirt. Kinda like on body semaphore.

Yes the led are on a the robot and the driver can press a button to activate them. thus giving a signal.

I would be very careful with the R68 blue box. Very, VERY careful.

That bold is the part that may give you trouble. By having the driver push a button to turn on the LEDs, the command originates from a human. In essence, you’re using the robot as a wireless relay station to the Pilot.

I would ask this in Q&A. If the GDC approves this usage, print and bring the Q&A to your event.

In general, LED’s on the robot communication information is not a problem. Otherwise, the RSL and other status lights would violate the rule.

LED’s are used all the time to provide robot status to the Drive Team.

In your quote, the issue is: What is “human-originated commands”? If the LED is turning on/off as a result of the Robot Code, it is not “human-originated” even though it might be the result of a human event (pressing a button).

That said, I can’t see the benefit of the Driver doing something on the Driver Station to change an LED light on the robot to signal the PILOT - Other than: “Hey, Dummy! Look at the Driver”.

Emphasis mine

If you take the LED turning on/off command to the origin or start, you will see it comes from the driver or coach, the fact that it passes through robot code does not change the origin. If you created a system the read the beads of sweat on the driver’s face and interpreted if the light should be on or off based on that, then it would not be human-originated.

*The Merrium Webster website is giving a 504, otherwise I would have used it.

I assume to converse whether the HP should get ready to load a gear or load fuel - IE two different colored LEDs, and the pilot has an agreement signal, or something similar. If you want to get really advanced, the driver can use leds to ask if theyre aligned at the climbing rope on the far side

another super important signal will be the PILOT notifying the drivers that a lift is dead due to a dropped handle.

https://frc-qa.firstinspires.org/qa/207

QA answered here https://frc-qa.firstinspires.org/qa/232

And Q&A says legal, provided it follows all other robot and console rules.

Like I said, I’d have this one marked for reference at the event just in case someone asks, but I think you’re covered.