Placement of the SLU-35 Terminal Lugs

:ahh: Besides on the batteries, where else should the SLU-35 Terminal Lugs be connected? :ahh:

Circuit breaker panel (20/30amp)

These lugs are meant to be used on all primary wiring, i.e. #6 wire from battery to fuse blocks. That includes the 120 amp main breaker. If you are using the small panels, then they must be used for the positive and negative connections to those panels and the wire that feeds the negative terminal of the battery to the ground stud.

But, if I’m understanding the rules correct, unlike last year, we aren’t required to use the SLU-35 lugs if we properly connect alternative and proper connectors to the #6 wires.

From the Q&A forum:
http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=296

I was hoping for some clarification on a rule in the manual. In section 5.3.5 Electrical System Rules, part of rule <R54> reads:

“The [Battery] connector must be attached with either the copper SLU-35 lugs provided in the Terminal Supply Bag or appropriate crimp-on lug connectors” (pg16).

To clarify the rule, is a terminal like the attached image acceptable to use when it is, “first lightly crimped on the wire and then soldered,” (2006 FIRST Guidelines, Tips, & Good Practices, Rev A; Page 15; last paragraph) with a quality solder connection per the recommendations of the Society of Automotive Engineers specifications, or is it imperative that we use the solder-less lugs given to us in the kit?

Default Re: Clarification on SLU-35 Lugs
The terminal you suggest is an appropriate crimp-on lug connector.

Yes you are correct, and the description applies to those connectors as well. The original question was specifically about the SLU 35 use.

Thanks Al. I was just verifying my understanding without asking the question.

Off topic…is 111 coming to either the Detroit or Great Lakes regional?

No, Unfortunately, I like GLR a lot.
We are sort of the host for Midwest and will be attending Milwaukee also. A lot of rookies at both events. A lot of new faces to meet.

Good luck and see you in Atlanta!

Also remember if your using a solder on connector on the 6 gauge wire use an iron that can get it hot enough. Most common PCB/electronics irons wont putout enough heat to make a good secure connection!