Plasma or LCD TV?

I’m going to be buying a new widescreen TV soon but I can’t make up my mind. I’ve done some research on both and it still hard to decide.
I like the picture and color from the Plasma but I’m still skeptical about burn-in.
What do the people in the Delphi neighborhood own?
Any sign of burn-in with the Plasma?
Does fast action blur on the LCD’s?
How about the color on both?
I’m looking at 45 - 50 inches so please don’t tell me about anything smaller.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

With Plasma, you don’t get a true black. LCD allows this.
We purchased a 48" LGI about a year ago, and are very happy with it.
Good luck!

I went through the same dilemma. After much thought and comparison I purchased the 50" Pioneer Elite Pro plasma. If I had not purchased the one I did my second choice was the Sharp Aquos 52" LCD (LC52D82U).

What sold me on the plasma was the side by side comparison. There was a clearer picture when there was fast motion and the LCD, at times, showed a flicker in certain scenes. The 2 sets were side by side and using the same feed. I even swapped the feed cables to be sure.

As for burn in I have not experienced any in the 4 months that I have had the TV. I bought as a demo and the set was on display for 2 months (I know the shop owner and how he operates the sets). I was told that the new plasma can get some burn in if left on a static screen for a while but I don’t know how long. I have left a movie on pause for 20 minutes and no effect. I was told that the burn in fades away after a few days use.

As for brightness, I have my room blacked out so ambient light is not an issue. In the store however I could not really notice a difference between LCD and plasma. The color, in my opinion , is slightly better on the plasma . They say that the black is better on LCD but the black is getting better on the plasma but it is vendor specific.

All said, it may come down to money. Plasma is slightly more expensive but slightly better (I believe). I would also state that a cheaper plasma mat not perform as good as a better LCD at the same price. I personally liked the Pioneer Elite but if I had not chosen it the Sharp Aquos 1080P (LCD) with 120Hz (not 60Hz) would be my next choice.

Good luck in your search and enjoy!!! :smiley:

If you are looking for a good deal, see if you have a local Micro Center, or if you would be willing to travel for one. I got an Olevia LCD last year for 1/4 the price. They have excellent Black Friday sales.

In my one year, I have not experienced anything negative with my LCD. There is actually a burn-in test I learned about. Leave the TV on for 24+ hours continuouslly. Then you have to leave it off for at least 12 or so hours I think. When you turn it back on, you will have your result of a burn-in. I have done this a couple of times now, just to test it before my warranty ran out.

When I began looking, I was not for or against either, I contiually looked for best deals from Aug - Nov. I wanted to have at least one ATSC tuner, and one HDMI. Now many have multiple of both. Until Jan 09, you can depend upon the ATSC tunner - after that, your local cable company will have control.

How long do you plan on keeping the TV?

More than 3 years?

Go with LCD then. Plasma’s tend to typically die after about 3 years of use.

LCD screens are generally more rugged than Plasmas as well. Keep this in mind when you decide how you want to mount the TV (if it’s a flat panel).

Wall mount with a swivel is ideal for LCD which is more durable, where as a stationary setup is better for plasma (ie: in an entertainment center, or as a stand alone television within it’s own cabinet).

I’ve had my Plasma (50 inch) for 5 years now. It hasn’t had any burn in, and we use it almost nightly.

I’m happy with my Sony Bravia LCD mainly use it for my ps3, Wii and watching blu-ray movies
I only have standard cable, so watching tv is like watching on a normal tv

I Have a Vizio 47in. LCD tv. I decided to purchase it after reading a review were it had the second highest picture quality for almost half the price of more expensive sets. I haven’t had any problems with it and picture quality is great for my uses. I believe that for a negligible difference in picture quality does not out weigh the price difference of a plasma set.

P.S. Make sure to use an HDMI cable as I noticed a huge boost in picture quality after switching.

Plasma’s tend to typically die after about 3 years of use

I’ve read where Plasma have a life span of 60,000 hours. If you were to watch TV, 8 hours a day, the TV would last 7500 days or 20 years.
LCD’s have a 100,000 hour life span.

Wayne et al,
Plasma screens have certain advantages over all other displays but a few serious drawbacks that make them less then the obvious choice. Burnin will occur on every display design if left on a static, high contrast, still picture. The station ID keys used in the corners of the picture on some stations is a typical burn problem. Plasmas in general produce minute particles that adhere to the inside of the glass. (think smoke) As these particles build up, the picture becomes diffused as the light passes through this layer. The second issue with plasmas is the failure of row and column wiring as it passes through the glass envelope to the structure inside. Although manufacturers are addressing this issue with some success, I do not believe it has been overcome. A failure of a single wire will leave an entire row or column of pixels to become non-functional. Plasma are also the heaviest of the designs of display technology. A screen of the size you are looking at could easily weigh 150 lbs. or more with the hanging hardware attached.
The newer LCD designs are very good. The Sony XBR for instance has special black circuitry and LCD design. It also automatically adjusts for color temperature. The downside in any LCD is the need to replace the back light which can be expensive, although it may occur only as often as a picture tube failure in CRT designs. Lamp replacement is also an issue for DLT projection devices but the lamp can usually can be replaced easily. Projection designs have always suffered from ambient lighting and view angle problems but newer designs minimize these problems. A friend has a Sony DLT that has a remarkable picture.
When looking for an HD display device, always check the screen resolution spec. Although ATSC allows up to 1080, often the screen only has 720 pixels (or less) horizontally. Be sure that the tuner is also capable of the the higher screen resolution. Many digital stations do not broadcast the full bandwidth HD signal, opting to take bandwidth for other services (channels) within the digital channel. DVDs and other program sources are likely to provide the highest resolutions now and in the future. Also be sure that the I/O will fill all your needs in the future. An HDMI connector, RGB and/or component inputs, two or more RF inputs and audio I/O are desirable for connection to your computer, video game, DVD, digital recorder, cable, off air and home entertainment center.
When in doubt, decide how much you want to spend and buy the device you can live with in your home. If it is the best money can buy and you don’t like how it looks, you will never be happy with it.

I’ve been really looking at the Samsung 46" LCD TV. It has a very clear picture and a 25,000:1 contrast ratio.
Now I’ve been told that Samsung has one of the worst repair reocrds.
My nephew was told this by Sears .

NE1 have a Samsung? If so, would you recommend it?