Please consider this

Posted by michael bastoni at 05/08/2001 10:04 PM EST

Other on team #23, PNTA, from Plymouth North High School and Boston Edison Co.

This is a story of hope and science…and it is a request for your thoughts, attention and generous action.

Please let us tell you about our friend Kurt Giessler.
Kurt is 20 years old with dark sparkling eyes, a razor wit and a side-splitting sense of humor. He’s smart and self-confident, handsome and hard-working.
Right now he should be looking forward to celebrating his 21st birthday with his friends and family here at home in Plymouth, Massachusetts. He should be spending his time thinking about his senior year at Carnegie Melon University and the future he’s long dreamed of as a robotic engineer. Maybe designing and building the robot that discovers life on another planet for NASA. Maybe inventing the piece of medical equipment that will someday save your life.
Instead we’re asking you to help save his.
Our friend Kurt is in desperate need of a heart-lung transplant.
His name is first on the Duke University Medical Center transplant list. But every 12 minutes across the country a new name is added to the national transplant waiting list. And everyday 15 more people die while waiting for a donor.

The power to change those statistics for the 75,000 people in the United States alone who are in need of a transplant lies with you and every one like you who has not yet sat down and talked honestly and openly with their family about donating their organs.

Kurt has struggled with heart disease and lung disease all his life. Kurt has never complained. He’s never wanted his friends or family to worry. He’s never asked for any special concern or consideration. But now his days may be numbered and the clock is ticking off the time left for a young man who would have – WHO WILL - make a difference in our world.
Kurt was a four year member of the Plymouth North/Boston Edison FIRST robotics team, a program founded by Dean Kamen, inventor of “IT”. In his junior and senior years he drove the team’s robot in competition. If you are a member of or an alumni of a FIRST team you may remember Kurt. Somewhere in your scrapbook you may have photos of Kurt. Kurt Giessler is a gifted individual. But right now he’s in need of your gift.
None of us who love Kurt wishes the pain we are feeling today on anyone else. But somewhere right this minute there is a family in the throws of a life altering tragedy. They’ve lost a loved one and may not even stop to think that their loss could provide the last hope for someone else. Talk to your family. Talk to your friends. Talk to the people at work or at school. Tell them that every hospital has a procurement coordinator you should ask to speak with in a time of tragedy to draw a chance at new life from the shadow of death.
And if you should be faced with such a decision yourself in the next short while, PLEASE remember our friend Kurt and designate him, Kurt E. Giessler, as the first to be tested as your organ donation recipient.
For more information on organ donations contact: National Coalition on Donors, 804-330-8620, e-mail [email protected]

This letter was penned by a woman whose daughter is one of Kurt’s best friends.

Kurt was one of my finest students, one of my most cherished young friends. He has given me many great gifts, I pray that he gets the gifts he so rightly deserves…

Hundreds of Kurts friends are reaching out wherever they can to share this message…TV, radio, Political and community organizations at the local and state levels have been mobilized, and are responding by helping to get this message out…Please share the story of the need and the importance of organ donorship.

Advances in the science of transplant surgery depends on the gift of organs, tissue and fluids…Right now this kid’s life depends on these gifts.

Thank you so much

Michael Bastoni

Posted by Joe Johnson at 05/09/2001 9:10 AM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Please consider this
Posted by michael bastoni on 05/08/2001 10:04 PM EST:

Mr. B.

Thanks for the update on Kurt. Some students stick in your mind as the years go by. Kurt is one of those students.

I carry my organ donor card in my wallet always and I am praying to my God right now as I type that somehow this all works out for Kurt and his family.

I ask all FIRST folks out there to do the same.

Joe J.

Posted by Chris at 05/09/2001 9:38 AM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER Team 69 Quincy Public Schools Gillette , from North Quincy High and The Gillette Company.

It is not often that anyone in the first community has to reflect upon these situations! We at team HYPER 69 Quincy Public Schools and the Gillette Company send out our best wishes and PRAYERS! To your fallen member! We hope to see him next year at nationals fighting strong and HEALTHY!!!

LET OUR PRAYERS AND WISHES BE WITH YOU

CHRIS
TEAM HYPER 69 QUINCY PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND THE GILLETTE COMPANY

Posted by Michael Martus at 05/09/2001 12:07 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

The sad fact is that we do not think of organ donations until we or a family member needs one.

I know the importance first hand. Austin, my son who has helped with Chief Delphi and has been at many competitions and also posts here on this forum was granted a “Gift” from another generous person.

A childhood disease we all take for granted - chicken pox - took his eye at the age of 4. Being on a waiting list is no fun. His gift of a cornea came from a young man in his early twenties that was killed in a auto accident. His “gift” lives on in my son.

I encourage all to fill out the donor card and get registered. After all " Don’t take your organs to heaven … heaven knows we need them here".

Posted by colleen - T190 at 05/09/2001 12:13 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

It’s a sad thought… I remember Kurt from my high school years as driver as well…

My prayers are with him, his family, and his doctors…

I carry my organ donor card as well… and my entire family requests their organs be donated if such a tradegy should happen…

Best of hope and courage to his friends and family as well, to stay strong by his side through everything…

Posted by Libby Ritchie at 05/09/2001 3:36 PM EST

Coach on team #393, Full Metal Jackets, from Morristown Jr/Sr High School and NASA/KIPT, Inc…

After I witnessed my aunt and uncle go through the death of my cousin/their son due to a car accident, I realized that I needed to be a donor, and I am. My cousin had a massive head injury but the rest of his body was fine. He donated everything possible and helped so many people. I never thought about it until that situation. Donating organs is a wonderful thing. I will pray for Kurt, his family, and friends and wish him the best.

Posted by Carolyn Duncan at 05/09/2001 6:00 PM EST

Student on team #495, The Pack, from Jamestown High School and VBEP/Raytheon/Saic.

I only hope that other people have been told what I have thought my whole life, God never gives us more than we can handle. This is just a trial in life that I have faith EVERYONE will pull through.
Much love,
Carolyn

: This is a story of hope and science…and it is a request for your thoughts, attention and generous action.

:
: Please let us tell you about our friend Kurt Giessler.
: Kurt is 20 years old with dark sparkling eyes, a razor wit and a side-splitting sense of humor. He’s smart and self-confident, handsome and hard-working.
: Right now he should be looking forward to celebrating his 21st birthday with his friends and family here at home in Plymouth, Massachusetts. He should be spending his time thinking about his senior year at Carnegie Melon University and the future he’s long dreamed of as a robotic engineer. Maybe designing and building the robot that discovers life on another planet for NASA. Maybe inventing the piece of medical equipment that will someday save your life.
: Instead we’re asking you to help save his.
: Our friend Kurt is in desperate need of a heart-lung transplant.
: His name is first on the Duke University Medical Center transplant list. But every 12 minutes across the country a new name is added to the national transplant waiting list. And everyday 15 more people die while waiting for a donor.

: The power to change those statistics for the 75,000 people in the United States alone who are in need of a transplant lies with you and every one like you who has not yet sat down and talked honestly and openly with their family about donating their organs.

: Kurt has struggled with heart disease and lung disease all his life. Kurt has never complained. He’s never wanted his friends or family to worry. He’s never asked for any special concern or consideration. But now his days may be numbered and the clock is ticking off the time left for a young man who would have – WHO WILL - make a difference in our world.
: Kurt was a four year member of the Plymouth North/Boston Edison FIRST robotics team, a program founded by Dean Kamen, inventor of “IT”. In his junior and senior years he drove the team’s robot in competition. If you are a member of or an alumni of a FIRST team you may remember Kurt. Somewhere in your scrapbook you may have photos of Kurt. Kurt Giessler is a gifted individual. But right now he’s in need of your gift.
: None of us who love Kurt wishes the pain we are feeling today on anyone else. But somewhere right this minute there is a family in the throws of a life altering tragedy. They’ve lost a loved one and may not even stop to think that their loss could provide the last hope for someone else. Talk to your family. Talk to your friends. Talk to the people at work or at school. Tell them that every hospital has a procurement coordinator you should ask to speak with in a time of tragedy to draw a chance at new life from the shadow of death.
: And if you should be faced with such a decision yourself in the next short while, PLEASE remember our friend Kurt and designate him, Kurt E. Giessler, as the first to be tested as your organ donation recipient.
: For more information on organ donations contact: National Coalition on Donors, 804-330-8620, e-mail [email protected]

:
: This letter was penned by a woman whose daughter is one of Kurt’s best friends.

: Kurt was one of my finest students, one of my most cherished young friends. He has given me many great gifts, I pray that he gets the gifts he so rightly deserves…

: Hundreds of Kurts friends are reaching out wherever they can to share this message…TV, radio, Political and community organizations at the local and state levels have been mobilized, and are responding by helping to get this message out…Please share the story of the need and the importance of organ donorship.

: Advances in the science of transplant surgery depends on the gift of organs, tissue and fluids…Right now this kid’s life depends on these gifts.

: Thank you so much

: Michael Bastoni

Posted by Pamela at 05/09/2001 11:36 PM EST

Student on team #166, Techno Insanity, from Merrimack High School and Texas Instruments.

Having a loved one on an organ donor list is really hard, my Aunt has been on one for years, I just found out tonite that they have given up hope on her getting a full lung transplant and now her cystic fibrosis has become severe enough she is in desperate need of a live lung transplant, many family mebers have been tested but few have the A positive blood type my aunt needs for her transplant. My aunt has around a year to live unless she receives lung donations from 2 seperate donors with A positive blood. To donate they will take out the third valve of your lungs and put it into my aunt, it will leave you with 80% lung capacity and a scar across your chest, but it will save a life. My aunt has battled cystic fibrosis for 40 years, she has a husband and a ten year old daughter who need her, a year left is not enough, she has had two sisters die from this disease, so she intends to beat it. If anyone is located in the Mass-NH area, has A positive blood and would be willing to donate part of your lung to help out my aunt could you please get in touch with me through e-mail! And goodluck to Kurt, I have an organ donor card and it now has a note asking to help Kurt out with first priority. My e-mail is [email protected] or [email protected], thank you so much.
~Pamela 166