Plummer Industries Bumper Mounts

Plummer Industries is proud to announce the release of our Bumper Mounts offering a solution to many of the common issues with mounting bumpers to FRC robots. Our Horizontal bumper mounts are competition proven and the New Vertical Mounts were designed based on feedback from teams at world championships this past spring.

Our bumper mounts are based on a ball lock mechanism that requires activation for both installation and removal to prevent accidental detachment. To prevent rust all steel parts in the bumper mounts are black oxide coated to allow teams to reuse them from year to year.

The horizontal system, for teams that use four individual bumpers, allows teams to keep hands completely outside of the frame perimeter when installing and releasing bumpers. This enables teams to design and build mechanisms the full width of the robot while maintaining easy access to the bumper mechanisms. So no more impossible, time consuming reaching around the mechanisms to get to bumper pins or latches. The horizontal system requires a simple hex key or T-handle to activate.

The vertical system is for teams that use the two C’s or ring design bumpers. Just reach over the bumper and press an easy to access button. Steel brackets will be available to support the corners of these types of bumpers. Vertical Bumper Mounts provide the same quick release but without the need for a tool. These systems can be mixed and matched to meet your team’s specific needs.

Our Bumper Mounts are made in-house in Maryland so there won’t be any long delays in manufacturing. Our in stock mounts are ready to ship ASAP. Look for our soon to be released videos on how-to install these time-saving Bumper Mounts and best practices for construction and support.

If you have the Plummer Industries vouchers from last year’s First choice we have extended the expiration date to October 31.

Bumper Mounts

Bumper Mounts

15 Likes

Can you post some pictures of what these look like on robots?

6 Likes

Some videos of them being used would be awesome too. I’ve got a rough idea in my head of how these work, but a video would clear up a lot.

Definitely excited to see another competitor in the market for potentially quality bumper mounts!

1 Like

Working on more professional videos that are a lot clearer and better quality than this one but here is a video of the first one I ever mounted last spring. It at least gets the idea of how they work across. If wanted I’ll do a quick walkaround of the bumpers on the robot that used them last year.

6 Likes

Please. Also some documentation on how to integrate these into bumpers and onto the robot would be awesome.

7 Likes

The ball-pins enter the sleeve (mounted to the robot) and get locked in. The balls lock the pins into place in the sleeve. Pressing the internal release mechanism (the ‘vertical’ button or with a long thin tool for ‘horizontal’) lets the balls retract and release from the sleeve. The brackets are fastened to the bumper wood.

Right?

Yes Correct. Here is a gif I made up showing the horizontal mounts. The heavy part (mechanism) is mounted to the bumpers to add the least amount of weight to the robot as possible.Horizontal Bumper Gif Cropped

14 Likes

Do the kits come with twice as many mounts as sockets assuming that you have separate red and blue bumpers? And do the vertical kits just involve you pushing the conical button by hand?

1 Like

Yes they come with enough to do 1 full competition robot. 8 mechanisms and 4 sockets. If you are doing a C type bumper you may need more mounts depending on where you place them.

Yes the vertical kits use the same button but pressed by hand.

Vertical Bumper Gif Cropped

4 Likes

I remember stopping by at championships and these look awesome both then and now. Have you heard about/experienced any accidental releases with the vertical mounts getting accidentally bumped in by something? What’s the spring rate/ material for the internal spring?

1 Like

Glad you like them. Haven’t had any accidental releases yet. The vertical haven’t been used in a actual competition so there is a possibility of something hitting them.(Robots Break and put parts and game pieces in weird places) The good thing about how the Vertical Mounts are set up is there would be more than one holding a bumper section if one released.
Spring Rate is 11 lbs./in. Button un-pressed is about 1 lbs. button and fully pressed is about 2.4 lbs.

5 Likes

Seems like with the verticals that some kind of cover (like this cam lock dust cover) could be added that would shield the button.

1 Like

Shock loads from the side are my main concern about using something of this kind to secure a one-piece bumper. Will need to think some more about how those can be kept away from the barrel.

When do you expect to get some CAD up on your site for these? I’m sure teams would like to incorporate them in their CAD before using them!

1 Like

Been in a robotics meeting. Here are the same models I just put on the website under the downloads tab on each product. I made them simpler so they would be easier to use mates and not to many polygons.(Removed countersinks and chamfers and internal components)
Horizontal

Socket

Vertical

Thanks for getting those up!

1 Like

I noticed the vertical mount option was sold out. Do you expect them to be out of stock for the remainder of the 2023 season?

They will be back in stock Tuesday just waiting for a batch to come back from black oxide. When i pick them up i will be dropping off more so they should be available for the foreseeable future.

So I ordered and just received the bumper mount sample pack. I like these, but I am either misunderstanding something or I don’t like what I think.

On the horizontal version, it appears that to engage it you will need a hole in your bumper fabric that the Allen wrench/pin has to go through in order to reach the release mechanism. The release mechanism is tripped from inside the fabric that contains the pool noodles.

Is this correct? If so, it seems like that is asking for problems from lots of places. The Allen wrench can get stuck inside the bumpers, the fabric can wear and tear, if you mount the piece low on the bumpers then you have to punch thru pool noodle to get to the release.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for the order and I’m glad you like them! The holes at the top and bottom of the horizontal mount are the “access” holes for the hex key or tool. To use them you come from the top of the bumper through a hole you put vertical in the bumper wood. The tip of the tool pushes on the taper of the button and pushes it in. There is a video of the first prototype last February in this thread that kind of shows it. I’ve been working on a usage and installation video that shows this way better than I can explain it. Ill post a video on here tomorrow even if its not edited the best.

There are some more parts coming soon that add to the ease of use of the horizontals and give more mounting options for the sockets.