Pneumatics compatibility

Posted by Michael Spryn.

Engineer on team #340, Grr, from Churchville-Chili High School and Nortel Networks.

Posted on 1/29/2000 7:37 AM MST

Regarding the SMC Pneumatics supplied parts, is something missing? Our understanding from the pneumatics workshop at the kick-off is that the electric solenoids (SY113) were intended to be used to control the power valves (SYA3120 & SYA3320). But (with the parts we received) the electric selenoids appear to accept ONLY 4mm tubing, and the control port on the power valves accept ONLY 6mm tubing. Thus, we can not connect the output from the solenoid to the power valves. We’ve rigged something to work temporarily, but we’re wondering if we’re missing something (either parts or know-how).

Posted by Patrick.

Coach on team #409, Flaming Eagles, from Oak Grove High School and NASA Ames Research Center.

Posted on 2/6/2000 12:54 AM MST

In Reply to: Pneumatics compatibility posted by Michael Spryn on 1/29/2000 7:37 AM MST:

: Regarding the SMC Pneumatics supplied parts, is something missing? Our understanding from the pneumatics workshop at the kick-off is that the electric solenoids (SY113) were intended to be used to control the power valves (SYA3120 & SYA3320). But (with the parts we received) the electric selenoids appear to accept ONLY 4mm tubing, and the control port on the power valves accept ONLY 6mm tubing. Thus, we can not connect the output from the solenoid to the power valves. We’ve rigged something to work temporarily, but we’re wondering if we’re missing something (either parts or know-how).

Mike,
You’re not alone. We have encountered the same problem also. The solenoids only have an M3 output when we really want an M5 output so that we can use the actuators (because they only accept 6 mm tubing, NOT 4 mm). We considered maybe this is the way it is supposed to be and maybe we can order new solenoids with an M5 output. ANYBODY READING THIS MESSGE PLEASE HELP!!!

So, Mike if this is indeed the way it was supposed to be shipped then either we are both missing something or we just have to order new solenoids.

Posted by Eric Rasmussen.

Engineer from FIRST.

Posted on 2/6/2000 7:12 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Pneumatics compatibility posted by Patrick on 2/6/2000 12:54 AM MST:

As I understand it, SMC was supposed to ship a 2nd package to all teams that contains a training CD and four 4mm fittings. I thought it was supposed to go out a while ago. If you haven’t received it, please contact SMC.

-Eric

Posted by Patrick.

Coach on team #409, Flaming Eagles, from Oak Grove High School and NASA Ames Research Center.

Posted on 2/6/2000 6:34 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Pneumatics compatibility posted by Eric Rasmussen on 2/6/2000 7:12 AM MST:

: As I understand it, SMC was supposed to ship a 2nd package to all teams that contains a training CD and four 4mm fittings. I thought it was supposed to go out a while ago. If you haven’t received it, please contact SMC.

: -Eric

So in the new pneumatics bag will we have solenoids with M5 outputs? Because we want to be able to use 6mm tubing with our actuators.
-Patrick Wesonga

Posted by Eric Rasmussen.

Engineer from FIRST.

Posted on 2/7/2000 8:51 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Pneumatics compatibility posted by Patrick on 2/6/2000 6:34 PM MST:

: : As I understand it, SMC was supposed to ship a 2nd package to all teams that contains a training CD and four 4mm fittings. I thought it was supposed to go out a while ago. If you haven’t received it, please contact SMC.

: : -Eric

: So in the new pneumatics bag will we have solenoids with M5 outputs? Because we want to be able to use 6mm tubing with our actuators.
: -Patrick Wesonga

There are no new solenoids shipping this year, only a few fittings.

-Eric