Pneumatics

I’m working on a project involving the valve in the picture. I’m using it to set off eight pistons that only need to shoot out once. I’m not entirely sure how each piston is suppose to be connected. Please help

If all the pneumatic cylinders can be fired together, you can take the two outputs of each solenoid valve and put it in a T fitting/Y fitting. (http://www.andymark.com/product/am-2184.htm)

This would be similar to wiring a electronic circuit in parallel.

My team did this in 2011, so I’ll try and find a picture.

I love that thing. My team has the exact same one.

Each piston has a valve at the bottom and top. One that’s filled with air, and one that’s exhausted of it. Hook up each end to the two connectors on one of the solenoids. Then you hook up the actual solenoids with a connector to the bumper on the cRIO (from which you control the solenoids).

Lastly, this whole thing should be connected to your entire pneumatics circuit (featuring compressor, air tanks, pressure gauge, release valve).

So, essentially, what happens is, there’s always pressured air accessible to the unit. Whenever one of these solenoids receives a signal from the cRIO to open up, one of the valves will open and allow the pressured air to enter the piston.

If the piston goes in reverse direction of what you expected (extend rather than retract), just change which valve the pneumatic tubing is leading into on the solenoid.

The picture looks like four “dual solenoids” in one manifold. Unless you have some highly unusual requirements, it’ll only be able to control four pneumatic cylinders properly.

What is your application for “setting off pistons”? Are they required to be independently actuated?

[old man rant]

Can we please stop calling them pistons? They are cylinders!

[/old man ran]

you’d cut your flowrate in 1/2 though.

It would also help to know what type of pneumatic cylinders you have. Do they have a fitting at each end? or just at one end?