Pnuematic Claw

Hey all, our team has decided to try to make a pnuematic claw this year
I have a few questions:
a. what do I use to mount my cylinders so that they can pivot
b. what should be on the tip of my piston so that when it fires out, it wont directly hit the claw and get distorted

thank you!

Well we’re a rookie team too and how we are trying to mount ours is with a sort of pivot on both ends of the cylinders sorry i cant be of more help because our arm is still being sketches out so we dont even know if it will work yet but still its and idea.:rolleyes:

A: Depending on which size you ordered you will have a pin or a pivot hole at the base of the cylinder. Download the Bimba catalog, it will show you all of the dimensions and mount types.

B: I don’t really understand your question. Do you have more details? The cylinder rod has a threaded end that you attach things too.

Be sure to allow your pnuematic claw to disengage once the match is complete. Set up crew must be able to easily remove a trackball from your claw once the match is over without your robot being powered back up. see rule, <G45>

Good luck with the build.:slight_smile:

The piston will come with some mounting hardware including a clevis that screws onto the end of the threaded piston shaft. That allows you to mount the “moving” end of your piston with either a pin/bolt/bailing wire/etc. as a pivot. The body of the piston can be mounted in a couple ways. The piston will come with brackets to mount the piston using the pin on the end of the body. The pin at the end of the body (only on the 3/4" and 1.5" bore pistons, I believe the 2" bore has bushings) can be pressed out and a bolt can be used in it’s place. There are also threads on the body of the piston to allow for mounting of the body of the piston without a pivot.

There might be a couple things I’ve missed, I’m sure others will chime in.

As a side note, look to protect the smaller bore pistons while in the extended position to prevent irreparable damage during competition. (These things bend very easily when whacked into hard objects.)