Poll: What motors did you use this year?

It’s been almost a year since the release of new brushed and brushless motors in FRC.
After a year I am curious to see the number of teams who have switched to the brushless ecosystem(s) and/or have chosen to stick with the older generation of motors.

• NEO Motor
  • Falcon 500
  • NEO 550
  • CIM/Mini CIM
  • Venom Motor
  • 775 Series Motor

0 voters

3 Likes

What about the neo 550 and 775 series motors?

2 Likes

We did CIMs on the drivetrain, NEOs on the launcher, and 775pros almost everywhere else. When Rev’s Black Friday sale comes around, I’m going to push for a set of drivetrain NEOs since we ran into weight issues this year.

2 Likes

Poll has been updated.

is this drivetrains specifically or just any motors present on the robot?

The poll is for all motors present on a robot.

BAGs should be an option too. We doubled those up on a Talon.

18 Likes

Unfortunately after five minutes of the poll being published I’m not able to add the poll currently.

I have added all mainstream alternatives (that I am aware of) to the new poll(s). My apologies for the inconvenience.

• NEO Motor
  • Falcon 500
  • Venom
  • CIM/Mini CIM

0 voters

• 775 Series Motor
  • NEO 550
  • Bag Motor
  • Banebots rs550

0 voters

2 Likes

Falcons on drivebase, Neos on the shooter, neo 550s everywhere else. (Well I guess the turret had a 775, to be replaced by a neo550)

Why different BLDCs on drive and shooter?

Can’t answer for their specific scenario, but I would guess it had to do the availability issue of Falcons last year. We ordered enough Falcons for a drivebase but no more. Once the game was revealed, while Falcons would have made sense, we couldn’t get our hands on any, so neo’s were the obvious next choice.

We did the exact same (oh, and big NEOs for part of climb).

For our team, we discussed for several weeks and purchased a hand full of Falcons in October with the intent of using them on the drivetrain. I missed a meeting in early January and subsequently discovered that, within a day, we had already dropped $1200 on NEO stuff (largely because Falcons were out of stock).

We used all the motors—14 this year (4 WCD, 10 elsewhere) !

We did the same except 775 pros instead of neo 550s

We did our shooter design with Neos then we got our Falcons so it was easy to just swap our drive Motors out for Falcons

How could you not use the cutest motors in all of FRC?

We did Neos on anything with a custom gearbox and neo550s on the VPs we used.

THIS IS NOT (necessarily) A MEME:

We used it and it was awesome! drove a lead-screw for our turret pitch control. No locking mechanism necessary and plenty fast for the use case.

Other than that:
1 Falcon 500 (intake, was planning on a Neo but ran out of them)
9 Neos (4 drive, 1 spindexer, 2 shooter, 2 climber)
2 Neo 550 (1 feeder, 1 un-jammer)

Opinions:
If you have the resources, brush-less motors are certainly worth it for the reduction in weight. If we had built this robot with brushed motors we probably would have been 10-15 lb overweight. This comes from a few factors.

1. Motor and controller is lower weight
  2. Motors operate with much more torque allowing for less gearbox to get the mechanism to have the appropriate power balance.
  3. More structure (and thus more weight) is needed to support heavier gearboxes
3 Likes

great motor except that the shaft really loves to pop off

We started the 2020 build season with NEO motors on our turret and drive system, but gradually swapped them all out for Falcon 500s due to the far superior performance. That said, all of our smaller motors are still NEO 550s, can’t beat the weight and performance in that size (now if only the VersaPlanetary gearboxes were a bit lighter).