We used it, but I wouldn’t recommend it (in its current state) to teams without programming mentors. It took a fair bit of patience to set up - we ran into a few issues:
We goofed up on units in the characterization tool, which is a common mistake, but an easy one to make
Field-relative (as opposed to robot-relative) trajectory generation was a minor pain that we wound up not having time to finish (this was mostly due to us messing up gyro math, not necessarily the trajectory generator being at fault)
We found a bug fairly early on (thanks to Oblarg for the fix) with short paths (even paths that were just “drive straight 2 feet”), which didn’t inspire confidence and took a few days of auto off the schedule
It took us a bit to work out a system for making paths easily without Pathfinder (we have no real reason not to use Pathfinder though); while WPILib’s API is fine for now I think it could be improved with some small utility classes.
Overall, I’d use it again next year, but mostly just due to us having experience with it. Many high school students (and even college students) are unfamiliar with launching an executable from command line, so while the current characterization tool works, I think a more beginner friendly way to launch it would be better. It would also be nice to be able to configure a permanent unit so that we can always work in, say, inches, and have WPILib auto convert to meters for Ramsete on the backend.
I’d say it took us about 15-20 hours with active mentor involvement to go from nothing to acceptable pathing. Another 10ish hours of utility code design & implementation to make it easier (for us) to make autos.
Additional thanks to Prateek from 5190 for the example repository that we could reference.