Popups

I don’t know if we can discuss this here, and sorry if we can’t, but anyways…

Does anyone know of a popup blocker that works for Internet Explorer? Google doesn’t work anymore (for me), and the others I’ve found cost money.

I am aware of Netscape, Mozilla, and the like, but my mom is hardcore IE, and hates it when I install “useless” stuff (like Mozilla).

If you happen to have an nVidia graphics card, the newest version of their driver download includes popup blocking…it will even show you a semitransparent version of the window if you want to see if it’s something you need or not…

Hm…thanks very much. I do have a nVidia graphics card (GeForce :)…I’ll go update my drivers (which I should’ve done a long time ago anyways).

Try this http://www.myarmory.com/ . Get Bazooka, its free, without spyware etc. Its one of my favs.

Yahoo!'s toolbar has a popup blocker, too.
I don’t know how effective it is, though. I use Mozilla/FireFox.

One thing you should do first is make sure Windows Messenger service is shut off. A lot of pop ups are capable of coming through Messenger service. In the “Control Panel” go to “Administrative Tools” and then look under the “Services” icon. Messenger should be listed there. You should also see a start and stop command. Click it and stop Messenger. Now right click on Messenger and chose “Properties”. Change the box there from “Automatic” to “Manual” and click “OK”. This should now help stop some of the pop ups. If you’re wondering, Messenger is used by system administrators on a network to send messages to work stations. This is also a “hole” in Windows that pop ups can use. The average person has no use for Messenger so turning it off won’t affect them. One last thing, depending on what version of Windows and what components were installed during Windows installation, Messenger or even the Administrative Tools folder may not exist.

Why did google blocker stop working? Mine has worked absolutely great for over a year. It lets a popup or two through every now and then but it has keeped nearly a thousand out to date. Perhaps you have some sort of adware that is making these popups?

I use the SBC Yahoo! browser, and haven’t had a popup since. :]

Maybe. But I ran Ad-Aware, and even after cleaning the files that it found, it still happened. Then I ran SpyBot (just to check), and nothing found there.

It’s probably just my computer…it’s pretty loopy anyways.

I use the earthlink pop up blocker and it works very well. The only problem is you must be a subscriber.

Check you’re Windows Add/Remove programs list in the Control Panel and see if there is anything there that shouldn’t be. A lot of these Adware/Spyware/Malware programs come back even after supposedly getting rid of them. It is because just one program goes and makes like five more. In the Add/Remove programs list, if you don’t know what it is or the name doesn’t sound familiar, it probably should not be there. But before you accidentally delete something important, ask us here about it. Also, it may not hurt to see what is running in your task list (press Ctrl, Alt, Del) and check them against this list here Answersthatwork.com Be careful to look at spelling and capitalization, you wouldn’t want to accidently get rid of something that is crucial to your OS.

I use SBC Yahoo’s browser, and the pop-up blocker works great. I think it uses the Yahoo blocker, so try getting that for IE.

A little off topic, but I have to say it.
SBC ruined Yahoo.

OK, now that I got that off my chest. Are the pop-ups only appearing when you close your browser? I have the Google toolbar and some popups it does not catch. Unfortunately, I had spyware invade my computer that neither Ad-Aware nor Spybot S&D caught.

If the popups are appearing when you close IE, then I think I may know what program(s) are doing this. I’ll have to look back in my history files, but I did find the problem spyware(s) that were causing the popups after I closed IE, and will look for it if this is the same trouble you are having.

Weirdly, I haven’t been having them since I updated my drivers. Thanks everyone for all your help though :smiley:

[quote=Jay H 237]This should now help stop some of the pop ups. If you’re wondering, Messenger is used by system administrators on a network to send messages to work stations. This is also a “hole” in Windows that pop ups can use.

Download Mozilla or Firefox and use the IE theme to trick your mother. BWAHAHA.

lol. I might just install FireFox anyways. It gives a choice to be the default browser anyways.