Possible 2008 Competition?

Okay, okay. This may be a strecth, but check this out. Ok, last year, at the end of kickoff, everyone was climbing on a tetra, right? And now, the robots have to climb each other. Right? Well, at the end of this years kickoff, they were chillin in a body of water. Is this a possible clue for next year? I want responses!

Whatever you do, DON’T START A WATER GAME THREAD!!! (We’ve had too many of those already, thank you very much. Do a search and you’ll fnd plenty.) Also, you’re off by a year. (Last year had the big three ducking shots in the center goal.) Not to mention that they don’t give hints in the kickoff video–except as to the nature of the game they’re releasing.

I don’t think it’s a clue. If Dave says otherwise, I’ll call for a jello/Krispy Kreme game.

Eh, well… It was a good idea. And I would love a krispy kreme game. First HP to eat all the doughnuts gets to battle with the robot!

Eh, well… It was a good idea. And I would love a krispy kreme game. First HP to eat all the doughnuts gets to battle with the robot!

Jason Morrella called that one back in 2002 (and based on how this year’s game turned out, he was prescient!)

-dave

I would love to have a Battlebots year…that would rock so hard!

but it would be about the furthest thing you could do to get away from the spirit of FIRST. also battlebots has their own competition.

Our team puts way too much time, effort, money, and love into our bots to get them cut in half by a buzzsaw.

yeah I know it could never happen and it wouldn’t be in the spirit of FIRST. I’m just sayin’ it would be fun.

why would there be a water game if we still have so many problems on land? There is an immense ammount of tasks that are needed to be done on land and we’re already going to water? not gonna happen, plus think of the safety issue…imagine that big pool or w/e breaking open. (Happened at a hobby show in November 2005) IMO the end of the kick-off was to throw us off or mess with us :wink:

If you want to get involved in that competition, talk to those that are involved. (See thread about “name our battlebot” about a year and a half or so ago.)

If you want to learn and be inspired in science and engineering join FIRST, if you want to just destroy things go to a junkyard, battlebots may be exciting but they get destroyed and all you learn is basically that machines are for destroying things. FIRST has an educational base and it’s not completly about building robots. FIRST is a sport with robot, Battle bots is like wrestling robots.

alright, I have been chastised…let’s get back on topic.

If you want to get involved in that competition, talk to those that are involved. (See thread about “name our battlebot” about a year and a half or so ago.)

If you want to learn and be inspired in science and engineering join FIRST, if you want to just destroy things go to a junkyard, battlebots may be exciting but they get destroyed and all you learn is basically that machines are for destroying things. FIRST has an educational base and it’s not completely about building robots. FIRST is a sport with robot, Battle bots is like wrestling robots.

What on earth brings about this view on things? I first got involved in robot combat during 8th grade. I joined my highschools FIRST team in my sophomore year of highschool, and without robot combat, I probably wouldn’t have cared about any robotics related activities.

It isn’t some evil form of robotics, it’s another way to get involved and learn.

While the specific goals of each respective event are quite different, they teach many of the same things. Each have their strengths, each have their weaknesses, but they both can, and have been in my case, be valuable educational experiences.

If you’d like to become better informed on the subject you seem to dislike, these links may come in handy.

BattlebotsIQ
Robot Fighting League

For an event near you
The Builders Database

The frightening thing about all this is that from what I’ve seen in the robot combat community, FIRST is respected and builders are encouraged to mentor or join local FIRST teams. Here, there’s an unsettling amount of hatred of the robot combat world.

What I’d really like to see would be some San Francisco area teams getting together with Dave Calkins and getting a FIRST arena setup at RoboGames.

no water…no brain lol

wow:yikes:

That would be sick but a bit harder to work with:D

The absolute hardest part would be the arena. Somewhere near 40 combat ready arenas for middleweight bots would not be cheap, or if you only had enough for the number of events per weekend, you’d have your volunteers near dead from the amount of effort it takes to put them up.

At robogames 2006, it took between 6 and 10 people working probably a solid 10 hours a day to put the arena together, get it properly setup and make sure it was safe. And you can believe me when I say that nothing in the arena is light. Also, some of the parts are like putting a puzzle together without any images on the pieces.

whatcha bet the pneumatics are the ‘big thing’ next year?

absolutely agree… so little do i see this used in any robot.

Thank you… I don’t feel quite so blasphemously evil now.

I agree it would create more problems such as making our robots waterproof so the electronics dont get fried!!!