Post video of your first HAB3 climb attempt

The piston continuously pumps the suction cup to maintain suction for as long as possible. We can maintain the suction for about 4-5 minutes after the match ends, though we are working on a method to keep the robot from crashing down just in case.

We did think about using a cam but went for the cylinder for simplicity. We may or may not switch to a motor, but the air consumption isn’t a huge worry for us.

The climber arm is on a single stage lift with a constant force spring and some clever rope routing that keeps the arm from falling until it reaches its max height. A ratchet prevents the lift from backdriving. The rope is what keeps the climber arm in place and prevents the robot from tipping forwards.

We are thinking about adding forks and lifting at least one robot with us, though we are currently focusing on fixing up other areas of the bot.

Last year, our climbing mechanism was an elevator. We were afraid of sliding down if supporting another robot’s weight was too heavy so we made holes in the elevator and had locking pins operated by pneumatics. Turns out, we were strong enough that didn’t even need them. Not sure if you have to weight for this as each were about 5 pounds. Not sure what kind of metal the “pins” were but they had to be strong to be fail safes.

What gear ratios is everyone using for climbing. Asking for a friend…

Full reveal: Team 604 - 2019 Robot Reveal: Landshark

18 Likes

0/7 bumpers didn’t stay above level 3.

23 Likes

Highly depends on how you’re climbing, number/type of motors, length of your arm, diameter of your winch drum, pitch of your lead screw, etc. I suggest you check out my design calculator to help you find a combination of motors and gear ratio that will give you the specs you want for your specific case.

Team 5712 - Hemlock’s Gray Matter

Near successful climb during our Week 0 event

Team 2102’s first Hab climb:

3 Likes

That absolutely made my jaw drop. what a crazy design

2 Likes

3647’s first completely self powered climb:

4 Likes

We had this exact robot sketched on our whiteboard at kickoff. Like, every detail of it was exactly the robot you built. I’m really excited to see it at CADM this weekend!

*ahem*

First attempt

7 Likes

Not the first time, but one of the first automated tries.

5 Likes

We are in the four bar style climber club as well, thanks to Spectrum for initial geometry and S. Forbes for the LEGO video. This was our first test on our practice bot, not at full weight and being controlled via a modified drill trigger and robot battery. We will be enlarging the contact foot and controlling the speed a bit better on the competition machine.

2 Likes

Thats not your robot… much to large to be a 558 robot…

2 Likes
29 Likes
FRC Team 973 - 2019 Robot Reveal

Clicked on the link blindly…

Thought: horrifyingly fast, looks unstable, somehow works brilliantly, must be a 558 robot…

Hey! It is!

6 Likes

cool design!

1 Like

That’s amazing!
Innovative design.

1 Like

This sparks joy.

3 Likes