Post your favorite FIRST game

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/23/2001 10:18 AM EST

Coach on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

As you all probably know, this is the 10th anniversary of the competition. That being said, what is everyone’s favorite game to date?

My favorite, by far, is the 1999 competiton with the floppies and the puck. It was also my first year involved with FIRST, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Looking back upon the last couple years, I dislike more and more the major change of this year’s competition - that everyone works together. Imagine how the competitions this year would be if it was 2 vs. 2… It would be unreal! And probably my favorite game to date. More importantly, however, I think a lot of students are less interested when you don’t compete against anyone. Lots of high school students get really excited when they hear we’re building a big robot, but loose interest when they find out there’s no real competition. I simply cannot see the competitons being nearly as exciting as they used to be, either. Please bring back the good old FIRST games!

Patrick

Posted by Steve Goldberg at 02/23/2001 10:52 AM EST

Engineer on team #157, Aztechs, from Assabet Valley RTHS and EMC/Simplex/Intel MA/Others.

In Reply to: Post your favorite FIRST game
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 02/23/2001 10:18 AM EST:

My favorite game would have to be 1993… a very early game it is true but simple and fun to play.

Quick Game Description. The field is a rectangle, say 20x10 with a group of balls in the center a bunch of small 6" balls filled with water and 5 large 13" balls filled with air. 4 teams compete at once every team for itself. At each corner, protruding from the playing field was a square goal area. Dividing the goals from the field was a 12" high horizontal bar, much like the midfield barrier in this year’s game.

The Goal of the game: Get as many small, 1 point, balls and large, 5 point balls into your goal.

Why I liked this game: It was simple, it was fast and fun. You could actually compete against your opponents (for that matter, you actually HAD opponents) Alliances formed on the fly before matches, people got pushed and knocked around. It was so much fun. (Admittedly it was my first year with first (As a student) so it was all kinda new to me.)

Another reason I liked the game: Our machine, although it didn’t do all that well, was designed amazingly well. It was a small front-end loader type machine that could pickup all of the balls and put them over the goal bar. It also had a dual gear shifting system that was beautiful to watch. The machine could even enter other people’s goals to remove the balls from them. It was a very good machine.

Anyway… just my 2 (maybe 4) cents…

Posted by Andy Grady at 02/23/2001 11:57 AM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

Ive been around since 95 and of all the competitions I have seen, my favorite was definately Double Trouble in 99. Now I liked the games in previous years, but to me they all had one problem…too much luck! One-on-one-on-one competition when you think of it, was a pain. Teams with alot of skill could be ganged up on and beaten in an unfair manner when two teams got together and pounded on the one stronger team. (Delphi can attest to this in 98) In 99, First introduced alliances, and obviously (much like this year) we were all very skeptical about its effect. I think its safe to say that alliances changed the game for the better, and made it alot more fun, especially from a strategic point of view. Plus in 99, with the king of the mountain like effect that the puck brought, it was a ton of fun watching the matches.
As for this year, I don’t think that the game is less fun or exciting, its just a different kind of fun. Now don’t get me wrong, I still think that 2 on 2 is the way to go because you have to adapt to a situation on the fly, and it makes the game more exciting. However, just think about how cool its gonna be to watch some of these robots in action doing various things on the field. Im itchin to see robots like Tigerbolt who launch balls, and team 25 who pole vaults. And strategy-wise this game is gonna test our scouting skills to the fullest. I say, bring it on!!!
Good Luck All,
Andy Grady =)

Posted by Becky Allen at 02/23/2001 12:25 PM EST

Other on team #356, The Enigma, from North Little Rock High School and Pulaski Academy and UALR/BEI/Controlled Automation/Hendrix College.

In Reply to: My take!
Posted by Andy Grady on 02/23/2001 11:57 AM EST:

Boys: Micah, Dean:), Cory, Evan, Lance
Girls: Rebecca, Daiya(Day-uh), Emily, Julie, Christina

Posted by Becky Allen at 02/23/2001 12:27 PM EST

Other on team #356, The Enigma, from North Little Rock High School and Pulaski Academy and UALR/BEI/Controlled Automation/Hendrix College.

In Reply to: Re: My take!
Posted by Becky Allen on 02/23/2001 12:25 PM EST:

Sorry, this message should be below. It’s been a long morning and the effects of sleep deprivation still have not been shaken. I apologize.

: Boys: Micah, Dean:), Cory, Evan, Lance
: Girls: Rebecca, Daiya(Day-uh), Emily, Julie, Christina

Posted by Becky Allen at 02/23/2001 12:20 PM EST

'99 all the way! Floppies were the best. It’s nice to have something to work with besides balls. Plus climbing on the puck was just too fun. It always made for interesting games. Plus I think the added aspect of alliances for the first time, really set that game apart.
Becky

Posted by Justin at 02/23/2001 1:37 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Hello,

My favorite game/year in FIRST was by far 1996. That year holds a special place in my heart. It was my first year on Team Blue Lightning, PSNH/West High School, 146. It was my first competition and it was the regionals at New Hampshire College (god I love that venue!). I remember being up in the bleechers chanting BLUE LIGHT NING at the top of your lungs. We ended up in the loosers bracket and battled back to SECOND PLACE!!! You don’t ask for better then that!! I can remember going down to the field afterwards and being the star struck FIRST year FIRSTers we were my friend Tom + I asked Dean and woodie for thier Autographs :slight_smile:

But let’s talk about Hexagon Havoc for a minute. The great twist of that game was that the goal could be tipped…but as long as the balls that rolled out were still within the plane of the goal, which extended to infinity they still counted!!! I remember matches that we were litterally biteing our nails in the stands as the refs brought out rulers to measure the position of balls. There were matches that we held on by inches. Take my word for it that will get your heart pumping. Sure we’ve seen ramps, pucks, floppies, bars…but I don’t think anything has topped that for me yet.

Yes…Long live Hexagon Havoc, Hexcalibur, and Blue Lightning.

-Justin

P.s. Watch for Blue Lightning’s presence in 2001 as the Blue Lightning Aluni Association :slight_smile:

Posted by Justin at 02/23/2001 1:45 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Hello All,

I would just like to acknowledge 1992, admitedly I wasn’t around back in 1992. Maze Craize. I’d love to see that game played. I have a lot of respect for it now simply because without it we would not be here. Not to mention how far things have come from corn to carpet. From a High School Gym to a Theme Park. From 19 (18?) teams to over 500!!! Perhaps most intiruging thing about 1992 though is DEAN WITH A BEARD!!! Those of you who have seen the FIRST Place video will know what I mean. I loved the 10 year video they did at kick off this year…and would be very appreciative to anyone who can get me a copy of it in digital form or VHS if need be. (e-mail me please if u’d be so kind).

-Justin

Posted by Justin at 02/23/2001 1:49 PM EST

In Reply to: Props 2 1992 :slight_smile:
Posted by Justin on 02/23/2001 1:45 PM EST:

: Hello All,

: I would just like to acknowledge 1992, admitedly I wasn’t around back in 1992. Maze Craize. I’d love to see that game played. I have a lot of respect for it now simply because without it we would not be here. Not to mention how far things have come from corn to carpet. From a High School Gym to a Theme Park. From 19 (18?) teams to over 500!!! Perhaps most intiruging thing about 1992 though is DEAN WITH A BEARD!!! Those of you who have seen the FIRST Place video will know what I mean. I loved the 10 year video they did at kick off this year…and would be very appreciative to anyone who can get me a copy of it in digital form or VHS if need be. (e-mail me please if u’d be so kind).

: -Justin

Posted by Al Skierkiewicz at 02/23/2001 2:10 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling High & Rolling Meadows High and Motorola.

My favorite was “ladder Logic” partly because the game was so wide open and there was a need for defensive action and part because the human player had so much affect on the outcome.
Followed as a close second was 99. Mostly for the need to have allies. This in my opinion, was the single best change to the game ever. Alliance partners forced us to cross the aisle and make good friends of all who we saw. In addition, the game was complex enough to cause multi-tasking robots which teams designed and built with great ability. The only down side was the complexity of the game for the audience.
Last year’s addition of scoring for the competition to affect your own score was a wonderful addition but it’s full impact wasn’t realized by everyone. Last year’s game was certainly the most action packed of all games thus far.
This year’s game is gong to be full of suspense, with high scores vs. low scores when a goal falls off an unbalanced bridge. I predict that this year is going to have the widest range of robot design to date.
Good Luck everyone!
Al

Posted by EddieMcD at 02/25/2001 2:52 AM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

Definitly Torrid Terror.

We won the DEKA New Hampshire regionals using a diabolical device taking advantage of the T5 rule. We could easilly crash into the spinning goal (our way of turning), and we had a device that locked our inner tubes to the top, and prevented opponents from getting their tubes on top.

Sadly, in the semis of the nationals, we had to face a robot that stopped the goal from spinning, and we couldn’t turn at high gear because of this.