Pre Regional Practice\Mini-Meet In New England

Hello

My name is Chris and I am a student/ leader type thing for Team 69 Quincy Public Schools and the Gillette Company.

Last year we hosted a mini practice competition at our high school. It was great and very helpful. The interaction with other robots alone was worth it. We had around 6 or 7 teams last year and we think we will have more this year. In necessary we will have a larger area to hold all the teams.

It is hard to tell what this year’s game is. So I know how hard it will be to say if you will be done with your robot in time to come to our practice.

We plan to hold the mini-meet the Friday before ship that is usually just 1 or 2 days before ship day. Cutting it close.

With that fact in mind we still need to know who has an interest in coming!!!

This practice\mini-meet is open to anyone. *We even had a team try to make it down last year from Canada!!!

If you can contact me or have your team leader contact me and give me and idea of interest I can start the prep for this event.

Team Info

Quincy Massachusetts (5 min south of Boston)

Contact Info

Chris

[email protected]

Thank You

Chris
HYPER Quincy Public Schools and the Gillette Company

Will there be an entrance fee and if so how much?? Also if there is a fee does it depend on how many people from a team is coming?

It really depends on the game as well. Some people may not want to devuldge a secret in their machine until they need it in a real competition.

Quincy was great last year, and no there was no entry fee (for last year anyway).

And for showing your robot, I really don’t see the harm, because it would be so close to shipping that it wouldn’t make a difference. The best thing though is strategies. Because getting a head start with other teams will mean you can have a better idea with strategies in time for the regional. The Quincy facility is great, and real thankful that they are hosting it again.

As for the date I think it will be around the 9th of February because a week later we will have to ship it. Seems really early, because we usually ship around the 22nd.

*Originally posted by EddieMcD *
**It really depends on the game as well. Some people may not want to devuldge a secret in their machine until they need it in a real competition. **

Do any teams keep their designs a secret? My mentors have always been solidly against that kind of thing, stating it isn’t gracious and professional.

~Tom Fairchild~, who likes telling everyone everything about his robot. :wink:

we’ll keep our design secret until usually the first regional. after that, anything goes. we like to hide our specialty until we get to a place. the only people who would usually know what our robot would look like would be the Indiana teams that go to the day before shipping practice that we have

*Originally posted by Tom Fairchild *

Do any teams keep their designs a secret? My mentors have always been solidly against that kind of thing, stating it isn’t gracious and professional.

~Tom Fairchild~, who likes telling everyone everything about his robot. :wink: **

Back in '97, we had a secret weapon on our robot (Warning! T5 in effect!) that we wouldn’t use until the actual competition. Everyone was caught off guard (oh, the stories I hear), and we took NH by storm.

I’m just saying that if something like that were to be in this years rules, it would probably be a hell of a lot more obvious now. That’s why a preseason meet may not be great for all teams if they want to keep their idea “under wraps”. We’ll all know by tomorrow if a preseason meet is a good idea or not. :slight_smile: