Prediction for florida.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/11/2001 12:29 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and If only we had free donuts…

The lowest score will be 10.

The highest score will be in the finals scoring at 600+ pts.

75%-80% of the bots in FL will need the bridge.

Of the 40 teams in the semi-finals in FL, half will limbo.

the winning alliance in the finals in FL will ALL LIMBO, except *maybe for the bridge balancer.

Florida is going to kick butt no matter what!

-anton who likes to state the obvious.

Posted by Laurence at 03/11/2001 1:26 AM EST

Engineer on team #537, Domo ARIGATO, from Sussex-Hamilton and GE Medical Systems.

In Reply to: Prediction for florida.
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/11/2001 12:29 AM EST:

I think you’ll get at least 720 in Florida. Given that we’ve already seen 620 in the Michigan regionals with 8 seconds to spare, that’s enough time to get a second large ball on top (worth 100 points).
We also haven’t seen many small balls in the far goal.

As for a low score, I wouldn’t be surprised by a couple of 0’s. I’m sure there will be a couple of messy rounds.

Team 537 - convertible limbo bot. We can remove our large ball manipulator and go under the barrier.

Nationals will be great!

: The lowest score will be 10.

: The highest score will be in the finals scoring at 600+ pts.

: 75%-80% of the bots in FL will need the bridge.

: Of the 40 teams in the semi-finals in FL, half will limbo.

: the winning alliance in the finals in FL will ALL LIMBO, except *maybe for the bridge balancer.

: Florida is going to kick butt no matter what!

: -anton who likes to state the obvious.

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 03/11/2001 2:08 AM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the score in the finals at the nationals will soar above 700. But then I get this feeling in my stomach reminding me about the divisions and only being able to pick from your division. All things aside though, it is still possible.

So far, I haven’t seen or hear of too many limbo-bots in general (over the 5 regionals that have gone by). But by the time nationals hit, I think that their importance will be well noted. We’ve already seen how teams readily draft limbo-bots because of their versatility with respect to field crossing.

And hey, what’s wrong with a limbo-bot that can balance too???

Just my personal thoughts…

Chris, #368

Posted by Tom S. at 03/11/2001 6:45 AM EST

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

About the limbo bots… remember that 21 out of 51 teams at UTC limbo’ed… this is about 41% I’d say that we will have 30-35% of the bots with limbo capabilities.

Tom S.
Team 177

: The highest score will be in the finals scoring at 600+ pts.

: 75%-80% of the bots in FL will need the bridge.

: Of the 40 teams in the semi-finals in FL, half will limbo.

: the winning alliance in the finals in FL will ALL LIMBO, except *maybe for the bridge balancer.

: Florida is going to kick butt no matter what!

: -anton who likes to state the obvious.

Posted by mike oleary at 03/11/2001 10:42 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high and sponsors are overrated…go pocket-change robots!!!.

In Reply to: Re: Prediction for florida.
Posted by Tom S. on 03/11/2001 6:45 AM EST:

bots with limbo capabilities are different then limbo bots…i think of limbo bots as bots that can limbo consistently and efficiently…not ‘well we built it really small…we think itll go under’ but ‘yeah we did the math and have it xinches tall so that itll go under the bar and weve tested this design and it goes under evertime and it does it fast’

: About the limbo bots… remember that 21 out of 51 teams at UTC limbo’ed… this is about 41% I’d say that we will have 30-35% of the bots with limbo capabilities.

: Tom S.
: Team 177

: : The lowest score will be 10.

: : The highest score will be in the finals scoring at 600+ pts.

: : 75%-80% of the bots in FL will need the bridge.

: : Of the 40 teams in the semi-finals in FL, half will limbo.

: : the winning alliance in the finals in FL will ALL LIMBO, except *maybe for the bridge balancer.

: : Florida is going to kick butt no matter what!

: : -anton who likes to state the obvious.

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/11/2001 10:01 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

I disagree, Anton…at KSC I did notice form the SOAP data that there was one match where the alliance scored 0. (The match was match 11, with teams 135, 180, 234, and 147) I have a feeling that we might see this again.

By the way, how DID that “0 score” happen?

-Jessica B, #237, who did her AP Stats homework on the KSC data :wink: Thanks, guys!

Posted by Brian Cholerton at 03/11/2001 10:28 PM EST

Engineer on team #311, Red Jammers, from East Islip High School and KeySpan Energy, Multiline Corp., Computer Assoc…

In Reply to: Lowest score…
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 03/11/2001 10:01 AM EST:

Jessica

I’m not sure how the “0” happened at KSC but I do know that at the LI Regional there was a score of “0” because one of the coahces hit the button to stop the clock instead of the student operator. The entire alliance got a “0”.

Also, referees were deducting 2 points from the alliances score for each person in the operators area not wearing safety glasses. While this didn’t affect our team it did cause some grief for a few.

: By the way, how DID that “0 score” happen?

: -Jessica B, #237, who did her AP Stats homework on the KSC data :wink: Thanks, guys!

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/12/2001 4:32 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

I predict that in the nationals the finals will have scores up to 700’s

Not sure we can actually do it, but we will definitely try for it.