President Obama said it - let's do it...

"For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act — not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together. We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. And all this we will do. "

Kamen for cabinet?

He’s got my vote!
ha

Kamen for personal advisor I say.

When I heard that part of the speech, the first thing that popped into my mind was the week I was doing with my FIRST team. Maybe we can use this new focus to advance the cause if FIRST.

Like with all polotics I hope he follows up on it, and in a smart fashion as well. No Child Left Behind was one of the largest education policy pushes in recent time by the federal government. Also considered a really inefficent and counter productive stratagy. I hope his action is strong AND smart, either alone is hardly worth the effort.

Obama will probably support FIRST. His own Alma Mater does it, team 2090!
In fact, students from their HS were invited to participate in the inauguration…:smiley:

I’m already trying to figure out how to work this quote into our marketing material!!!

When you do, don’t hesitate to share it with the rest of us!!! :smiley:

I sense a new era for our little niche in the world, and he seems like just the man to help nudge it along. But remember, this is not just about one man, though he is very influential. We’ve got to help this change happen!

this sounds like a job for the people that get to meat him after they win in the finals. ask him for more TV time for FIRST. :slight_smile:

Well if team 2090 wins championship this year, I’m sure the President will do one better. Visit them instead of the team visiting him. :smiley: :smiley:

i hope that we will see obama at the DC regional. We are already sending letters to our politicians and on thursday we are going to send out team members to their offices as a friendly reminder. Maybe we could get obama to come.

Perhaps FIRST will allows us to make some progress on this task by allowing solar panels or wind turbines on the robots? Mmm? Just a thought.

Why would you want to limit him like that? :wink:

Exactly!!!
Kamen/Lavery '12!!!**

(Vice President Lavery… that’s a scary thought!) :eek:

Champion teams are not necessarily invited to meet the president. I believe it has happened only three times in the history of FIRST.

As a soon to be educator (okay so I’m only half way through my undergrad…) this is good news for me.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10142451-54.html

Solar power might be a bad idea after all…but I’d vote for Dean!

There’s a big difference between solar power being a “bad idea” and current technology creating dirty waste products. I’d hazard to say that the materials that will make solar power the most cost effective probably haven’t been invented yet, and that even with some of the toxic byproducts their contribution to total global pollution is miniscule compared to the general electronics industry which uses many of the same chemicals, and creates the same byproducts.

Solar energy (and tide energy) is FREE energy. It’s the most plentiful energy we have. It powers many other energy sources including wind, currents, etc. We already eat, and power our vehicles on converted solar energy through plant products. Far and away the bulk of it is just radiated back into space.

Dean would tell you that the waste byproduct issue is a problem to be solved - not a show stopping reason not to do it.

Oh lord no. He’d be halfway through his term before his acceptance speech was done… :ahh: