Pretty Lights...

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/14/2001 2:24 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and If only we had free donuts…

Can anyone suggest an easily attachable light display that we can put on our robot?

Something that can be powered by the 12v battery or even better, a separate battery source that does not take up more room.

We have plenty of space and plenty of weight to work with. (we weigh in at 72.5lbs only).

Thanks…

-anton

Posted by Erik Justen at 03/16/2001 2:35 PM EST

Engineer on team #677, A few screws loose, from Columbus School for Girls and The Ohio State University/Norhtrop Grumman/AEP.

In Reply to: Pretty Lights…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/14/2001 2:24 PM EST:

Well actually…

We’ve been big fans of POV (persistance of vision - think of sparklers on the fourth of july - when you move them, you see the “old” light trail. or… those rather annoying programmable light things they sell at Disney - I think WildStang had them at Nationals). We made one this fall for recruiting more college students to the team - spinning lights are a great way to get attention.

There are several different ways you can implement one - we’re planning on putting one our cart that displays our team number or something like that. The electronics are pretty straight foward - we’ve used a BS2, but I’m sure you get could a cheaper PIC to do the same thing. The code is very straight foward, and the interface circuitry can be as simple or as complex as you want. Send me an email if you have some questions or want more details - but be forewarned, I’ll be out of down for a few days. Perhaps one of my teammates that is reading this board can offer some advice in my absence (Balint, are you reading this??)

Erik

: Can anyone suggest an easily attachable light display that we can put on our robot?

: Something that can be powered by the 12v battery or even better, a separate battery source that does not take up more room.

: We have plenty of space and plenty of weight to work with. (we weigh in at 72.5lbs only).

: Thanks…

: -anton