Program deployed, no response from robot

Hi, I’m a rookie this year, and I’m having trouble with the confusing documentation that we get. So far we’ve got the basic build done and the radio hooked up to the cRIO. We’ve had some networking problems as far as wireless goes, so we just use a long ethernet connection(we’ll deal with one problem at a time).

I have been able to deploy the default RobotMain.vi program as-is to the robot. We’re programming on the classmate so in order to get to the Driver Station we have to disconnect from the cRIO and switch user to Driver. After a lot of troubleshooting we have been able to get the DS to recognize the cRIO and that it has robot code. It also recognizes one of our joysticks. However, enabling the program doesn’t do anything (in any mode). In the error box it mentions something about a while loop taking too long(I can’t remember exactly right now, i’ll edit this tomorrow when I’m back at school). The jaguars also keep flashing yellow no matter what we do.

1. Does anyone know how to get the program working?
  2. Should I image our cRIO? We had it imaged on the kickoff so I don’t know if it’s the latest or not.
  3. Should I install a newer Driver Station?
  4. Should I install drivers for the Logitech Attack 3 joystick?
  5. Slightly unrelated: Is there a good place to learn how to program the cRIO using LabVIEW? Not just the language itself but to control the robot.

Check your ribbon cable going from your cRIO and your sidecar. This year some of the cables have been messed up. Follow this guide to fix it.

http://www.usfirst.org/sites/default/files/uploadedFiles/Robotics_Programs/FRC/Game_and_Season__Info/2012_Assets/DB37%20Ribbon%20Cable%20Assembly%20-%20Rework%20Instructions.pdf

You don’t have to switch users. You can run the Driver Station as a Developer.

The jaguars also keep flashing yellow no matter what we do.

This means they’re not getting a PWM signal (I assume you aren’t using CAN). It could be a wiring problem in several places, and troubleshooting that will require looking in detail at a number of things.

First, is the big amber Robot Signal Light plugged into the Digital Sidecar? If not, you can still look at the little green LED next to the RSL connector. What is the light doing when the robot is disabled? What is it doing when you enable the robot?

Second, is the Digital Sidecar properly powered? Are the BATT, +5v, and +6v green LEDs all brightly lit?

Third, is the cable from the cRIO’s digital module to the Digital Sidecar assembled correctly? Some of the ones supplied in the Kit of Parts have one of the connectors backwards. See here for details.

1. Slightly unrelated: Is there a good place to learn how to program the cRIO using LabVIEW? Not just the language itself but to control the robot.

I’ve heard good things about the http://www.frcmastery.com/ videos.

Do I just follow the instructions on installing the Driver Station again on the Developer account?

I am not sure which green LED this is, do you have a picture of it? Also we have not installed the Robot Signal Light yet.

They are brightly lit, all the time while the robot is powered.

Our cable seems to be fine(no twist).
We also get an error message on the Driver Station. Something about error -44061 “left and right motor” loop is taking too long.

I’ve heard good things about the http://www.frcmastery.com/ videos.

I would also suggest that you try to get your hands on another computer to program on, it will make your life 100x easier. Even an old laptop donated from someone that isn’t using it anymore will work.

Would a desktop work? I’m guessing we would need a wireless NIC, though.

Yes a desktop would work, and if you have a wireless router you could just plug into that and not have to worry about wireless card.

How would a desktop connected to a wireless router be able to communicate to the radio on the robot?

Same way it would with a wireless router, you set the IP address of the computer the same way you do for wireless. The router is basically just giving it wireless access. I will try to find the instructions for past years to set up a router configuration.

I thought that wireless routers created their own private network, separate from the radio’s? The only way I could imagine that it would work is if you configured a router(maybe one with custom firmware like DDWRT) to become a wireless bridge that connects to the radio and connects the desktop to it. Then again, I don’t really have a formal education in networking so what do I know.

Here are some instructions on how to set up a router to go in between a computer and the radio.
http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Community/FRC/Game_and_Season__Info/2010_Assets/2-2010FRCControl%20System-Getting%20Started-Rev-0.7.pdf

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just use the radio in AP mode and buy a wireless adapter for a desktop? We don’t have any routers to use.

Yeah, that would be fine. We had the router from previous years.

The installation shouldn’t be account specific. You should be able to find the Driver Station in the Start menu on the Developer account or in C:\Program Files\FRC Driver Station

Oh thank you very much!now we just gotta get those drivers working

Here’s the error code we get (obviously the date is wrong, I copied and pasted from elsewhere. But the error is identical):

ERROR <Code> -44061 occurred at "Left and Right Motors" in the VI path: Robot Main.vi
<time>19:42:17 02/17/2011
FRC: The loop that contains RobotDrive is not running fast enough. This error can occur if the loop contains too much code, or if one or more other loops are starving the RobotDrive loop.

And to give a brief record of what we’ve done: The laptop, radio, and cRIO were imaged and set up at the kickoff. I installed LabVIEW on the laptop and then installed the three updates that were given to us at the kickoff as well. Then I reset the router, and set it up as the tutorials in LabVIEW say to. Had some trouble with the wireless so we used a long ethernet cable so we could deal with that later. Camera and Joystick work fine.

One thing I’m not clear on is the proper way to upload a program to the cRIO. Do we just press run and wait for it to deploy? Somewhere else on CD I found instructions saying to right click the build target and click “build”, then “run on startup”. Which is the better way to do it, at least for development?

You get an instance or two of that error, or does it keep repeating? The first is normal, the second is a problem.

It repeats.

We have the same problem and I’ve triple checked everything!!

I read the posts about the possibly bad cable, but that wouldn’t be a problem if we’re using last years DB37 cable right?

Would appreciate any suggestions for this because I’m stuck…

Thanks.

Is it possible that the default project has some bad code? Could someone upload a project that they know works on their robot, to see if the code is the problem?