Programing cRIO (java) without FRC packages

Hello, Since the new robotRIO is coming out for the 2015 season, our team now has two cRIO 4 slot controllers that are no longer good for competition. Being about $1000.00 in parts, we are hoping that we can put them to use through some demo robots.

Our question is, is it posible to write, upload, and execute code on the cRIO II without needing the FRC driverstation, or any of the FRC software? Or, how can the FRC software and libraries be set to allow for the user of the cRIO II without the FRC driverstation?

I have found a link that details how to do this in C/C++, but our target language would be Java, since our programming team consists of Java programmers. Thanks for the help, and here is the link. http://www.ni.com/example/31462/en/

You can’t use the FRC cRIO images without the FRC libraries or Driver Station. You’ll have to use the cRIO with National Instruments images. This is a lot more involved than the FRC programming process.

Why not continue to use the FRC libraries and the Driver Station software? Last I heard, the cRio and associated software is going to continue to be supported for at least a few years so teams can keep old robots alive or use it for practice robots/non-competition projects.

Once the FRC cRIO becomes a legacy system, it may be possible to get the NI people to release their source code for the core systems, and then modify that.

I know nothing about the libraries, but it is quite easy to write your own driverstation, see these links:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128894&highlight=iphone+driver

Well, We are hoping to use the cRIO without the FRC driver station. The hope is for something that can be setup so the robot starts running on boot, and takes control inputs from the digital I/O card.

Buried in the FRC firmware is logic that receives the enable flag from the DS & expects constant coms from the DS. First doesn’t publish source code for the firmware for reason. :] So either you need to run non FRC firmware on the cRio, not a realistic possibility for most teams. (mine included.) Or put a something that mimics a driver station on the robot. Conceivably something like a PI with a hacked DS that is constantly enabled. Obviously you would keep safety in mind when doing this.

Perhaps the better solution would be to keep the cRio’s around for practice/demo bot where you want to be able to control it - in other words, where you’ll need the driver station anyways. If you have one or two robots you want to run without a driver station, it would probably be easier, quicker, and cheaper to use an alternative control system, like an Arduino with a RobotOpen shield.