Programming Leads Questionnaire

Hello!
I am with Team 955, CV Robotics. Since my team was scheduled for weeks 3 and 5 events, we did not get to attend a competition this year. Typically, at competitions, 955’s programmers visit other subteams to collect information about how they program and share information about how we program. Since we are unable to do this, I am hoping that teams on Chief Delphi could share our programming questionnaire with their programming leads to fill out. This will allow collaboration to continue even if we can’t meet face to face! If other teams are interested (there is a box on the questionnaire), the information they provide will be made public. All of the questions on the survey (except team number) are optional.

955 would like to share our responses to the survey. We hope that it is helpful. Here are our responses:
Team 955 Programming Questionnaire Answers.pdf (159.4 KB)

Here is the survey:
https://forms.gle/aRLeAxHYEwL3n9w19

Thank you for your time!

8 Likes

Thank you to the teams that have responded! Below are responses:

Team 1444, Lightning: 1444 Answers.pdf (50.5 KB)

Team 4183, Bit Buckets: 4183 Answers.pdf (59.8 KB)

1 Like

And here is another response:

Team 2412, Robototes: 2412 Answers.pdf (58.5 KB)

1 Like

Team 4557, FullMetal Falcons: 4557 Answers.pdf (59.3 KB)

Be prepared to spend up to an hour on the survey. It’s quite an intensive extensive interrogation.

2 Likes

Team 4819, Flat Mountain Mechanics: 4819 Answers.pdf (54.2 KB)

1 Like

Based on your responses, I noticed your team wrote a custom trajectory solution from scratch and cited complexities with spline-based trajectory generation for why you didn’t implement it. While I understand wanting to do everything yourself for educational purposes, I just want to make sure you’re aware that WPILib has spline-based trajectory generation built in. It’s easy to use, fast enough to generate in real-time, and supports dynamics and kinematics constraints. It took us a few months to implement and unit test, so implementing something of that quality and reliability yourself could take at least that long assuming you have the same expertise.

Here’s the official tutorial on using WPILib trajectories:
https://docs.wpilib.org/en/latest/docs/software/examples-tutorials/trajectory-tutorial/index.html

If you want to know how WPILib trajectories are generated, read this presentation:
https://pietroglyph.github.io/trajectory-presentation/

I’m a fan of providing high quality, batteries-included solutions for everything. Teams can still implement their own version of components for educational purposes or robot-specific requirements, but a rich standard library lets them pick their battles while still producing a maximally effective robot. It lets you treat certain technologies as a given and focus on developing higher-level actions like that 10-ball autonomous. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for letting me know!

Team 1736, Robot Casserole: 1736 Answers.pdf (69.1 KB)

1 Like

Team 4681, Murphy’s Law: 4681 Answers.pdf (64.0 KB)

Maybe create a single page with (links to) all the responses?

1 Like

Team 6738, Excalibur: 6738 Answers.pdf (58.2 KB)

While this was my original plan, I have decided to use pdfs instead. Some teams do not want specific information shared (such as contact information) and/or they have information from the survey they want changed. Thus, I am using this thread as the “page” with all of the responses. Please let me know if you have any other ideas that work with this system.

Note: if you do not see your team’s response here, please check the email that you provided as contact information because I have sent the pdf to be reviewed.

Thank you to all of the teams that have filled out the questionnaire!

Team 997, Spartan Robotics: 997 Answers.pdf (61.4 KB)

Team 4272, Maverick Boiler Robotics: 4272 Answers.pdf (58.7 KB)

1 Like

Team 7285, Sneaky Snakes: 7285 Answers.pdf (58.3 KB)

Team 5024, Raider Robotics: 5024 Answers.pdf (61.0 KB)

I want to mention to Team 5024, I hope they see this:
You answered

How would you compare this camera to other cameras you’ve used in the past?
Faster, but less customizable than running a RaspberryPI. Also, can’t do multi-camera CV

However, using more than one Limelight is possible - in the web client you can specify the name of the NetworkTable the data is posted to. Set each limelight to a different table, they both should run ok. Most teams however don’t have the funding to buy 2 Limelights, so this usecase isn’t very big. However, I believe 1678 did use something like 3 limelights in 2019…

1 Like