Project Euler

So, the other day I was stumbling and ran into this excellent waste of time. It’s a series of math/programming problems, which get increasingly more difficult, although you’re free to solve them in any order. Some of the early ones can be solved easily with a for loop, looking, or a good old friend named Excel. Later ones, I have no idea even how to begin.

http://projecteuler.net/

Great find! I can forsee myself wasting err spending many hours doing all of these! Combining my two foremost passions… mathematics and programming.

That sounds interesting. How many have people solved?

I haven’t played with it in awhile (and they’ve since taken to adding a problem per week, and actually just stopped doing that for the summer), but I’ve solved 52 problems (using perl)

=)

Dang it, and I thought I was going to be productive.

I’ve solved 13 since I saw you post it here. Thank You Python.

Haha, yeah I solved 17 of them since I saw the post about it.

This thing has me hooked. 30 now solved.

Owwwwwwwww…

My brain hurts…:frowning:

Oh geez tennispro9911, don’t you have anything else to do over the summer? =P
( http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=profile&profile=tennispro9911 )

I need to do some more. >_>

Haha, the bad part is I do have stuff to do right now, that I’ve been working on some. I have my grad party tomorrow, a meeting to discuss a possible custom two-speed transmission prototype over the summer that I’ve been pushing. I put together a powerpoint for that yesterday, and my graduation ceremony is saturday which I’ve been working on my speech for. I have spent too much time on that site though. Thats for sure.

You have quite a large chunk done yourself:
http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=profile&profile=whitetiger0990

I think I’m going to do them in labview.

I’ve never touched labview. If I’m involved with robotics next year I probably will, but I’m graduating, so I won’t be as involved. Anyway, even though I’m not too shabby at programming, I’m a mechanical guy myself.

And I thought I was addicted by doing a few of them yesterday. I am not a programmer, so I have been doing them in excel or by hand. Most of them I understand the programming concept for, I just don’t currently use any programming languages. For many of these though, I will likely dust off my matlab books.

OK, I guess many of these aren’t too bad since I got another 6 with excel and pencil and paper.

There is someone from the pencil and paper group claiming 193 solutions. Pretty crazy.

Just checked out the stats above. 50+ not bad.

Ahh, my head hurts, don’t do it with a pencil, a paper, and a calculator.

My goal is 95% in two or three weeks.

I did the first two in labview, and learned a lot of good things about labview (it’s amazing how much better you learn when you do something real, rather then following tutorials).

I think it would also be fun to do them in VHDL (which isn’t even on the list). I thought of a way to do the first one in just a few clock cycles, taking into account the massive parallelism you could build into the hardware.

VHDL? You, sir, are my hero.

These are great, especially if you are new to problem solving and have small amounts of programming experience! The common problem is that questions are either too hard or too easy, these seem pretty simple for beginners yet still kind of interesting.

these types of problems are really nice to improve your critical thinking and math skills too.

Haha, so I severely underestimated the difficulty of the latter questions. After about 70-100, it gets extremely difficult, and after about 150, it gets close to impossible for me. However, thats why I’m majoring in mechanical engineering, not comp sci. So far I’ve gotten 112 of them. My new goal is 75% complete which may or may not be realistically attainable.