Proper way of wiring pinouts

How would I PROPERLY wire the pinouts on the Ultrasonic sensors in the KoP?

^See left
And just to verify,this will be going into the analog breakout, right?

+5v goes to a source of 5 volts
GND goes to a ground pin on the Analog Breakout that is in slot 1 of the cRio.
AN should go to an analog signal input that can take 0 to about 3 volts, such as on the Analog Breakout. That voltage will tell you the distance the sensor is reporting: 2.56 volts is 256 inches, 1.00 volts is 100 inches.

Please note that you should, if possible, get the 5 volts from the Analog Breakout, and use that ground as well, otherwise that AN voltage will be somewhat inaccurate. But I’m not going to do the work to look up a source of 5 volts for you, that’s your task.

I apologize, I should’ve been a bit more specific
That much I had had already figured out, by wiring the pinouts, I actually meant soldering the wires. The holes are waaay too close and I don’t want to risk frying the sensor.

Look at the test probe picture from your link. Big hint:If the yellow probe was a white wire…

Twist the wires nice and tight to slip through the holes. Use a good clean soldering iron with a very pointy tip. We just did ours tonight without any problems.

but how are you certain that these wires won’t touch? They pinouts a VERY close to each other and VERY small

Hello this is Tom Bonar from MaxBotix. This is an example of what an LV-MaxSonar-EZ1 should look like with the wiring soldered on the sensor. I hope this is some help to you.

LV-1.JPG

LV-1.JPG

yikes
so you’re basically suggesting I use smaller gauges…

You can solder in a header. Something like this?

You can cut the wires and break them off to wherever you want.

I got this stuff from Pololu. (pre-crimped wires and connector housings)

Check it out: Pololu - Cables and Wire

They also have lots of other things that your team might be interested in, so look around.

Oh. Yes, more specific would have saved both of us time.

Buy an 0.100 male header like this and solder that in. Use a 40 Watt or smaller soldering iron (not a gun!) and electronic solder with flux core.
If you go with wire, 20 Gauge should be more than plenty, tin the wires before inserting them into the holes.

There is a technique for soldering to a circuit board, practice on something cheap (Radio Shack can help there) first. Basically, you start counting seconds: Press the (clean & tinned) iron tip against the board at the pin (or wire), after 2 seconds, push in a little solder, count another 2 seconds, and pull everything away.

What types of wires do you use?

Use a PWM cable. Remove the male connector, strip the wires to a couple of millimeters, and use a low-wattage fine point soldering iron.

Hello, this is Tom from MaxBotix.

This is an example of what our sensor looks like wires soldered on. Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Jones,
The wires in the photo are #22 or smaller. PWM wires are typically #24 or #26. Since you should have extra PWM cables in stock, simply cut one to length and strip about 1/8’ of insulation. Twist the wire strands and tin the wire. Tinning is heating up the wire and applying just a bit of solder to it before you insert it in the circuit board. This operation keeps the strands together and allows you to insert it in the board. Then just insert the wire and touch it with a soldering pencil. When it is hot enough add a little solder to the joint and remove both the solder and soldering iron. You should be left with a joint as shown in the photo.