Proposal for new award - The Sarah Connor Award

I propose a new Award, to be given out only as needed.
The Sarah Connor Award, for individuals who keep getting attacked by robots
This referee was hit directly or indirectly by robots at least twice during two separate matches at the recent Iowa Regional. She survived!

52 Likes

I’ll vote yes for that award! We knocked over the ref tablet stand twice at the same event in 2018 (sorry Kelly), an award for surviving robot attacks would be awesome! Not sure why they don’t just move the stands back a bit farther to make it less likely

9 Likes

I know my friends team may or may not have taken out a refs scoring tablet at Kettering #2 this year… Dean Kamen was once shot in the face by a ball. Dean Kamen takes a soccer ball to the face - YouTube courtesy of 1519… I dont see them registered for anything last year or this year. But that may have been the “highest profile” case of this I can recall.

7 Likes

I was literally typing this out as you posted. I would like to also nominate this + that one video of the Stronghold (?) robot breaking the barrier and booking it out of the arena. Good times all around

3 Likes

FRC Robot Fails and Funny Moments | FUN Best of - YouTube 3:04 in!

Edit: I don’t feel bad for the teams in here because we have made it in a few of these I’m sure. Not for hitting humans, but for random freak accidents. Ik in 2016 we started smoking during endgame match 57 at Southfield.

Historically I think we also caused a really bad pileup and jammed our alliance mates in 2007/2008? The one with driving around a loop and the exercise balls? Not the year with the slippery floor.

But there was another time this (breaking through the wall) happened as well in 2014 I think. In 2017 I was convinced someone in the flying tower in the middle of the field would get hit by stray ball eventually.

3 Likes

Oddly enough we had a girl on our team for 7 years (2012-2018) named Sarah Connor. She started with us in 6th grade as they allowed her on the team because her older sister was on the team. She started as our safety captain and later became our driver and team captain.

1 Like

Subtitle: “I got the most robots disabled” award.

6 Likes

since 2022, 1519’s had a second team branch off from the original for reasons I am not sure about, and it became 8724 Mayhem

1 Like

Would the award be in the shape of T-800 skulls?

4 Likes

If there’s a Sarah Connor award, should there also be a Skynet award for the robot that does the most attacking? :thinking:

7 Likes

Robot with the most AI and Machine Learning implementation. This would be the most like Skynet and need to be shut down with a E-Stop by a high schooler at a drive station to prevent the apocalypse…

6 Likes

Is she still involved in FIRST? Maybe she could make a video for the award presentation.

2 Likes

At Battle of the Bay in 2014, my oldest was competing, and my youngest was in a stroller. A ball came off the field, directly towards her. Momma instinct kicked in. I came up with a pretty good goalie block and prevented a mishap.

3 Likes

Unfortunately Dean wasn’t as lucky.

4 Likes

The comments on YouTube discuss the kicker being set for hundreds of pounds of launching force when someone talked to the team at a demo. That would’ve been painful/put out your eye, definitely leave a mark. He also didn’t have his safety glasses on I don’t think… Dean… Buddy… Safety FIRST!

This is not the Award we deserve…it is the Award we need!!!

2 Likes

It’s a story we only tell in person now. Come by our pit sometime if you want to know.

That is why we wear safety glasses lol

2 Likes

Technically the E-Stop does not shut off the AI targeting systems… it just stops the bot from chasing things using them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.