PSA: NI Tools cause issues with Forza Horizon 5

Forza Horizon 5 came out a couple weeks ago, and I knew they were having server issues, so I never worried about trying to play online. After 2 weeks into the game, I decided to investigate further.

Come to find out, there is an incompatibility between Forza Horizon 5 and LabView tools! I would constantly get a “Unable to join session” error in FH5, and following this reddit post, removed the LabView tools. (My team is a Java team, so we only have NI stuff for the dashboard) As soon as I did this and rebooted, everything works!

Just posting this so it might help someone else.

PS: Can we get a non-NI based driver station? There is no support for Linux or Mac OS with the current dashboard…

3 Likes

SmartDashboard, ShuffleBoard, and Glass are three cross-platform dashboards included with WPILib.

1 Like

By chance are you referring to the driverstation here? I only ask because while that is a windows only application (to my knowledge :thinking:), their are a few options for dashboards as cited above.

you guys are right, I meant driver station.

Some open-source driver stations exist for Linux and macOS of varying quality. https://github.com/Redrield/Conductor explicitly doesn’t run on Windows because the NI DS already exists for that platform and has better safety QA.

The other option is complaining to NI to port their DS to Linux/macOS. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Note that only the 1 Driver Station program is allowed in competition. I think there are a couple reasons for this.

1. Safety - Everyone including the insurance companies wants to know there are baseline safety precautions in place and FIRST would have to inspect each new Driver Station program.
  2. The FTA, FTAAs and CSAs need to know the ins and outs of the Driver Station program you have, to help you. Adding a new Driver Station program would increase what these personnel have to learn. For a while, I think even USB to Ethernet adapters were not fully supported (they are now, even come in the KOP).

This isn’t to say the Driver Station couldn’t be ported to Linux or macOS. I agree that would be nice even if it’s not supported at competition. If it did get ported to Linux/macOS though and somehow was permitted at competition, I wouldn’t expect it to be supported on any more than a very limited number of Linux distributions and that with limited FTA support.

On a bit of a tangent: The Dashboard can be completely custom (well per the game manual rules). I think there is even a way to run the Driver Station and Dashboard on separate computers (the game manual may disallow this at competition).