PSATs Back

So we got our PSATs back at our school… the percentages look aright. I was wondering how other people did overall?

Also, was it me or was the math curve steep?

I havn’t gotten mine back. I’m guessing I got around a 4… :stuck_out_tongue:

Impressive score distribution. Either FIRST really does make people smarter or the people with lower scores are not as willing to respond. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did fine on the 2 sections that count - English and Math.
Writing Skills is just a push over and doesn’t even really mean anything.

I got a 224. I’m proud of myself. :smiley:

So… therefore there should be a lot of National Merit Scholars here by the look of the poll…

Speaking of that…does anyone know what the threshold is for being a NMS?

It varies by state.

For florida this years cut off was a 214. I’m currently a Semi-Finalist this year and I shall know about my Finalist status come Feb.

You will not know the cut off for NMS until about August of your senior year though

according to the psat, i can’t proofread :stuck_out_tongue:
but i scored well in math tho, which helped me alot

Sry, but I disagree with your last sentence. I think the Writing section and Writing SAT II has much more importance than the Verbal SAT I… in fact, the collegeboard recognizes this and it is the reason why they are putting more practical things other than analogies into the SAT I Verbal next year. The skills tested in the writing seem much more practical and useful than knowing relationships between obscure vocabulary words and ambiguously-phrased critical reading questions.

Math counts though :wink:

Not really on the topic of the PSATs, but the curve on the Math IIC in October was so steep it was ridiculous. My 760 only earned me an 80th percentile. Similarly, on physics, my 730 was only a 75th percentile. Overall, it seems SATII’s have much steeper curves than SATI’s.

Seriously? The scores must have been really high for a cutoff like that.

I’m one of eight (predicted) semifinalists in our class. Wee.

Well, when I speak of curves, I mean (as is usual) the point curve. I got 2 problems wrong on the PSAT Math and had a 73/80. Yes, that’s 3.5 pts off per problem for the first 2 at least.

Percentile wise, the SAT IIs are steep because they are the most competitive tests since the more academically motivated people take them. The steepest tests within the SAT IIs are the language tests since the native speakers do really, really well… as in, nothing wrong :confused:

our school stresses this psat too much

probably why we had 32 national merit semi-finalists in my 2004 class (tihs is pretty crazy considering we only have about 190 students in my class)

Alright, maybe I came off sounding too harsh about the last section… but really, at the moment there is no Writing Skills section on the SATI, and students really aren’t required to take the SATII… so, in my opinion, the Verbal and Math sections are much more important than that last section.
Rumor has it though that the SATI may soon include a writing section on it, and that it may be scored out of 2400.

Maybe I’m just saying this because I kinda blew off that last section though… :rolleyes:

My school does that too…we have 25 semi-finalists, 8 achievement and 4 hispanic

Actually, that’s true mostly for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. The score distribution for other languages such as French or German is less top-heavy. I’m guessing that’s because Asian languages are so difficult to learn that nobody except natives take them.
However, the Math IIC and Physics tests have a lot of high scores, leading to even an 800 being only only around 91 or 93 percentile.

I scored 224 when I took it 2 years ago, and I was a National Merit Finalist. Never actually got anything out of it, but it’s something nifty I can put on my resume and applications.

:confused: yeah. i some how managed to get a lower score this year than last! the moral of the story: don’t take standarized tests when you are sick.

:frowning:

-jill

That’s definitely not a rumor… it was announced sometime in January what the changes to the 2004 SAT I would be.

Here’s the article I wrote for the September issue of our school’s newspaper regarding this matter:

College Board Changes the SAT and PSAT
By Yan Wang ‘05

Beginning the next school year, students taking the SAT I and PSAT standardized tests will be affected by the College Board’s changes to both. Announced earlier this year, a modified version of both the SAT and PSAT (otherwise known as the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) will be issued to students taking either test after the 2003-2004 academic school year. For most juniors and seniors, this is of no importance, especially since the PSAT does not count unless taken junior year (except for extra-ordinary reasons), but for the sophomore, freshmen, and future classes, they will be faced with a new format and difficulty level.

The new SAT I will be administered starting March 2005 and features extensive change to all sections. The verbal section has been renamed to “critical reading” and will feature more short reading passages and questions (along with the current long passages), which will replace the tedious analogies. Since analogies became part of the SAT I test, teachers and students have often voiced their opinion that being able to make these analogies was not as beneficial a skill as reading comprehension, since the analogies often tested miniscule relationships between very foreign and difficult vocabulary.

The math section of the SAT I will also be expanded upon. Rather than covering concepts from just geometry and algebra I, the section will also include concepts from algebra II along with data analysis, statistics, and probability. Overall, the difficulty level will increase substantially.

The biggest change, however, to the SAT I, will be the addition of a new writing section. Modeled after the SAT II Writing test and PSAT writing section, the SAT I writing component features an essay and grammar related multiple-choice questions. The multiple choice questions will test the “students’ ability to identify sentence errors, improve sentences, and improve paragraphs. The essay section will assess students’ ability to write on demand”, says the College Board. The addition of this third section to the SAT I will increase the duration of the test to well past three hours.

The PSAT/NMSQT, which is offered once a year in the fall, will also be modified for the fall 2004 testing. The verbal section’s changes will be the same as those affecting the SAT I test. In the math section, the quantitative comparison problems will be eliminated, more advanced level math problems will be added, and two more student-produced response questions will be added for a total of ten. The PSAT writing section will feature new questions similar to those on the new SAT I test. Previously, the math and verbal sections were 25 minutes each and the writing section was 30 minutes, but for the new test, students will be given only 25 minutes for the writing section, thereby reducing the entire test length to 2 hours 5 minutes.

Opinions are mixed about the changes in the SAT I and PSAT tests. For the upperclassmen, most don’t care and sometimes laugh at the misfortune of the underclassmen in receiving harder testing. Others, like Sarah Birman ’05, wish that “they would get rid of the analogies for our tests.” The additional sections are also getting many mixed responses from underclassmen. “That grammar part sucks because teachers, always assuming we have previously learned it, never teach it to us”, says Nikki Page ’06. “Hopefully, because sophomores are the first class to take it … SAT scores will not be so highly regarded.”