PSOC Interface Card

I did a quick interface base board for the Cypress FirstToutch PSOC-3 kit . This board bring out all the pins to .1in header to be compatible with the pin-out of last years Display Station. signal, +3.3V, GND

If you want a board, upload the ZIP file to http://www.batchpcb.com/ (part of sparkfun), it will cost $22 plus shipping and handling per board. This is NOT TESTED yet, but I have order boards for the teams that I support. The ZIP file can be uploaded to any PCB shop. Lead time is typically 2-3 weeks at BatchPCB

The ZIP file contains all the Gerbers, schematic and board layout in PDF format.
If you want the Altium file, please email me: lafleur @ lafleur . us

Parts List:
9 each FCI .1 x 8 header pins , digikey 609-3257-nd (or you can get larger one and break into 8 pin block)
2 each FCI .1 x 14 header FM, digikey 609-2244-nd

tom lafleur
mentor Team 812

PSOC Board.zip (94.8 KB)
POSC Board.pdf (89.4 KB)
POSC Board SCH.pdf (149 KB)

PSOC Board.zip (94.8 KB)
POSC Board.pdf (89.4 KB)
POSC Board SCH.pdf (149 KB)

You may want to get clarification from forums.usfirst.org on the legality of this. The way I read the rules is that you may not be allowed to directly connect to the Cypress board, you must go through the breadboard.

DRIVER STATION - The collection of the Classmate PC, FirstTouch I/O Module and breadboard provided in the KOP, and a USB hub (either the one provided in the KOP, or a team-supplied USB hub device).

This definition tells me that the breadboard is part of the DRIVER STATION.

<R82> Teams are permitted to connect a portable computing device (Laptop computer, PDAs, etc.) to the DRIVER STATION for the purpose of displaying feedback from the ROBOT while participating in competition MATCHES. Portable computing devices may only connect to the DRIVER STATION through one of the USB ports or through the breadboard – they shall not connect to the DRIVER STATION through any other port. Portable computing devices may only connect to the DRIVER STATION – they must not directly connect to any ARENA ports or equipment. Please note that AC power will not be available at the PLAYERS STATIONS so these devices will have to run on internal batteries or be self-powered.

The Cypress board and breadboard are both defined to be part of the DRIVER STATION, and the rule states that the only connections to the DRIVER STATION that are allowed are to a USB port or to the breadboard. Connection to the Cypress board is not specified as being allowed.

Team 812 has ask FRC for a waver of the requirement as we believe that the connection via the breadboard is NOT robust enough for use in a robot or control system.

tom lafleur
mentor team 812

FYI for anyone considering this board: FIRST came back with an answer, and as I suspected they confirmed that breakout boards like the one proposed in this thread are illegal for use: http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=13781

Team update 4 change rule R82 to allow a carrier board, see below.

<R82> Teams are permitted to connect a portable computing device (Laptop computer, PDAs, etc.) to the DRIVER STATION for the purpose of displaying feedback from the ROBOT while participating in competition MATCHES. Portable computing devices may only connect to the DRIVER STATION through one of the USB ports or through the First Touch I/O module (or a carrier board for the First Touch I/O module) – they shall not connect to the DRIVER STATION through any other port. Portable computing devices may only connect to the DRIVER STATION – they must not directly connect to any ARENA ports or equipment. Please note that AC power will not be available at the PLAYERS STATIONS so these devices will have to run on internal batteries or be self-powered.