Punk covers - awesome or ruining good music?

Wondering how you guys feel about punk/ska covers… Personally, I feel if done right, they’re awesome!

Some of the better ones according to Dan :wink: :

Face to Face - Sunnyside of the Street
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies - One Tin Soldier (yeah yeah, it’s a hippie song, blah blah blah)
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
Millencolin - Every Breath You Take
Face to Face - Blister in the Sun (great song, just kinda bad quality)
Everclear - Brown Eyed Girl
random band - Pink Pather
random band - Walking on Sunshine
random band - I’ll Stop the World

You guys have any favorite covers?

Did ya get Punk Goes Pop? Quality cd.

punk covers are great…

You didn’t even mention New Found Glory. They did a whole album of cover of movie theme songs. You haven’t heard the Titanic theme song “My Heart Will Go On” until you’ve heard it with guitar riffs.

yeah…well what about me first and the gimmie gimmies…the punk cover band…thats all they do is covers

less than jake- grandma got ranover by a reindeer lol funniest thing.

pennywise- mrs. robinson

yeah, me first and the gimmie gimmies are a great cover band…

later

*Originally posted by The Lucas *
**You haven’t heard the Titanic theme song “My Heart Will Go On” until you’ve heard it with guitar riffs. **

lol, haven’t heard the NFG one, but have you heard the RAVE titanic remix? That one is awesome :smiley:

Hey now, if we’re talking about punk … why haven’t The Ataris and Catch22 been mentioned? :smiley: Punk rocks.

• Katie

I heard a punk cover of “I want it that way”…so inspiring sigh it brought tears to my eyes. I wish i only knew who did it…

Dan, you know how I answered :slight_smile:

MFATGG rocks, as does Catch 22, A New Found Glory, Pennywise . . .

They’re all awesome.

I think I have every cover imaginable :slight_smile:

…and thanks to you, Dan, I’ve grown very fond of One Tin Soldier.

My favorites?

Seasons in the Sun by MFATGG
Sloop John B. by Catch 22
One Tin Soldier by MFATGG
99 Red Balloons by Goldfinger
Rainbow Connection by MFATGG
Somewhere over the Rainbow by MFATGG
I Think We’re Alone Now by Snuff

Among lots more. . .

I’ve got this punk cover of Back That A55 Up. I don’t know who its by, but it is |-|4rD C0r3 70 d4 |/|4X.
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmes rawks.
And this cover of La Bamba that kicks…
Brandon, I saw that Pop Goes Punk, some of it sounded pretty goodto,but the Hot Topic price of $16 drove me away.

Wetzel

Supply side economics.
Or something.

Hey,

Have you all heard:
pennywise- surfin usa?

This is a darn good song:)

Badjokeguy

*Originally posted by Wetzel *
Brandon, I saw that Pop Goes Punk, some of it sounded pretty goodto,but the Hot Topic price of $16 drove me away.

$10

:wink:

Everclear ruined Brown Eyed Girl!!!

I agree the cover song done right are awesome but Ive heard some and they suck but most are awesome. hey is anyone staying at all star music?? we trying to get a punk/ska party going at our hotel. Just a group of us hanging out skanking, moshing, and just getting to know other teams. If u arnt at our hotel just vist out pit area maybe we could work something out.
see ya all in 4 days!!!

Team 498

Phish and The String Cheese Incident (I think) have both done country/bluegrass covers of Gin and Juice. It was nearly the funniest thing I’ve ever heard. I mean, here’s a guy, singing with a faked Texas drawl saying, “It’s kinda hard bein’ Snoop Dee Oh Double Gee.” I’m laughing right now, thinking about it.

*Originally posted by skapunker_498 *
**I agree the cover song done right are awesome but Ive heard some and they suck but most are awesome. hey is anyone staying at all star music?? we trying to get a punk/ska party going at our hotel. Just a group of us hanging out skanking, moshing, and just getting to know other teams. If u arnt at our hotel just vist out pit area maybe we could work something out.
see ya all in 4 days!!!

Team 498 **

awww…i wish i could go…me and my team tried to start a pit at the canadian regionals, but, yeah, it didn’t catch on …:frowning: …yeah, well, later all…

Wanna hear a good band? Go download Spindle… they’re on mp3.com. Its a good punk band from Toms River, NJ…

O, and no one beats Pulley, the Dropkick Murphys, and basically, the whole Epitaph Crew…

Hm, I like covers of most anything. Intresting to see the re-interpretation of the orignal work. I like most of the Tori Amos covers, and those “Punk Covers” you see floating around are pretty good too. :wink:

Punk covers are great, but I of course have more respect for the originals. My favorite is Like a Prayer by H2O. :smiley: (Make sure you get the regular version of it, not the live one!)