Life is more fun if you take some risks every so often. I am taking a risk and I need some help from my friends.
I grew up watching entirely too much television, and I consider myself a product of the TV generation. Recently, my wife, oldest daughter and I have watched the last two seasons of Survivor and we have enjoyed it. We like the good guy / bad guy aspect, the competition aspect, and the fact that the show is based on inter-personal relations between contestants. We especially like the contestants who show good character and “gracious professionalism” as they play. There are things we don’t like about the show and we use those things to tell our daughter “what not to do”.
I talked to my wife and asked if she would support me if I applied to be on the show for the upcoming season. She said yes, but doesn’t think that I will make it. I don’t either, but it is worth a try. Sure, my chances are like that of a lottery, but it may be worth the effort.
In order to be a contestant, I have to fill out an application and send it in with a 3 minute video. The video must tell them who I am and why I would make the ultimate Survivor. They suggest being creative. So, that is what I will do. First, I will say who I am and then why I would make the ultimate Survivor (see reasons below). Then, at the end of the tape, I would like to include many groups of people saying: “PUT ANDY ON SURVIVOR”. The more people in the group saying this, the better it will look.
That is where you come in. If you want to help me do this, get a group of people, put them in front of a digital video camera, and have them say “PUT ANDY ON SURVIVOR” at the same time. Then, send me an email and I will reply to you.
(if you have any other ideas, let 'em rip)
If the producers like the application, they will interview me.
You may be wondering why I would want to be on Survivor. Here are my reasons:
- It would be fun.
- I think that I could do well. I am deeply competitive while still being honest and gracious. I am good with people but I also don’t take too much crap.
- I would like to promote positive role models on television, and I would fill that role.
- This would help promote FIRST. I would wear FIRST t-shirts while on camera.
- It would be like winning the lottery; while it is not realistic to win, it is neat to dream about it. If I would win, some money would go back to FIRST (and other local charities).
- I really don’t have any secrets and I like to be accessible (translation: I am a bit of a showboat and wear my heart on my sleeve).
So… could you help? Send me a short video clip of your FIRST team (or group of friends) and say “PUT ANDY ON SURVIVOR”. I wish that I had time to wait for IRI to do this, but the application needs to be in by June 22.
Once I get a video done, I will let you guys proof it and give me input to make it better. As many of you know, my video editing skills are minimal, so any advice is appreciated.
We’ll see how this goes… it could be fun.