PWNAGE 2451 New Number

To borrow a phrase from online gaming: Hax.

But seriously, there’s got to be a back story for this. Inquiring minds want to know!

I think they seized the former 2451 at their robotics workshop and after weeks of starvation 2451 finally gave in and surrendered their number. But aside my creative mind i’m sure there is a real reason for the switch

Did they absorb another team sometime between last season and now, with this being the compromise they came to on numbering? Last well known example of this that comes to mind is 47+65=51.

The team separated from the organization they were part of, the organization had rights to the number and chose to keep it as part of the organization.

-Nick

Huh?

If a veteran team splits from their parent organization, they can recycle an old number because technically they are not classified as a real rookie.

See #3 http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/rookie-team-criteria and I believe also #6?

The organization holds rights to the number 2949, so we had to be given a new number, and as Akash said, instead of giving us a rookie # (5000+) they recycle or use a number that was never given. FIRST has many numbers along the way that they never used exactly for this purpose.

-Nick

If you are giving up the number, how are you able to keep the name then? Since you are branching off, why doesnt the organization want to keep the name?

Team names can be duplicated (ex. Robodogs, Cyberhawks, Robovikes, etc.).
Team #'s cannot be duplicated

-Nick

I know, but pwnage is just a very singular and memorible name.

I wonder if this means I can now make money for having a vintage PWNAGE card and button now…

How does one gain rights to a number? I’d like to claim 9128 for myself.

2949 is not continuing as a team. There will not be a team competing this season under that number. So assuming no new rookie teams call themselves pwnage, we will still be the only ones.

-Nick

How does one gain rights to a number? I’d like to claim 9128 for myself.

They have rights to it because the team was through that organization. So the number still belongs to that organization. They would have to release it for us to be able to use it.

-Nick

This seems to be a situation similar to what happened with 64 and 39. I don’t know all the details, but after 2005 64 ceased to be a team. I believe several people involved with the former 64 started a new team, without their primary sponsor. Because they did not qualify as “rookies” under the guidelines linked by Akash, they were given the number 39, a number relatively close to their former designation, rather than a 2006 rookie number.

I may be wrong, but I thought I remember hearing that 2741 (Method 2 Madness) became 2949, following the 2009 season. Am I mistaken? If not, it would be the 3rd number for pwnage.

I may be wrong, but I thought I remember hearing that 2741 (Method 2 Madness) became 2949, following the 2009 season. Am I mistaken? If not, it would be the 3rd number for pwnage.

2741 became 2949 and 2704 in 2009.

Another reason we separated is because we were interested in becoming a 501c3 and our organization was not. Now that the team has separated, the team has already begun the process for becoming a 501c3.

-Nick

Any particular reason you jumped years?

Any particular reason you jumped years?

The number is assigned by FIRST, apparently computer generated. So 2451 was just the next available computer generated number that was available. FIRST does not allow a team to request a number under any circumstance.

-Nick