Q-point Calc Comments...

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/14/2000 8:14 AM MST

Anybody have any comments about the CDI Qualifying Point Calculation?

Summary:

Winner: Your score + 2 X your opponents’
Loser: Your score + 1/2 X your opponents’
Tier: Your score + your opponents’ (i.e. 2 X your score)

We really stuggled with this one, thinking that FIRST’s method was a bit TOO punative for the winner (giving them nothing for their own score), but that it DID have some good aspects. We thought this was a perhaps a better compromise.

We welcome all thoughts on the subject.

Joe J.

Posted by Raul.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 10/14/2000 12:16 PM MST

In Reply to: Q-point Calc Comments… posted by Joe Johnson on 10/14/2000 8:14 AM MST:

Joe,

I think that this is a very good compromise. I like it! The 2X ‘ball container’ also add a fantastic twist to the scoring outcome. Strategy will be at a premium. Even a weak ball-handling robot can help alot. The fact that the balls do not sit down as far in the holes as they did last year also makes it tougher to ensure your score. I really like it!
Great job you guys.

Raul

Raul

Posted by Jason Baker.

Student on team #240, Mach V, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

Posted on 10/14/2000 10:16 PM MST

In Reply to: Q-point Calc Comments… posted by Joe Johnson on 10/14/2000 8:14 AM MST:

I like the scoring Idea–still stays with the boundaries of gracious professionalism but adds a twist, every year this gets better!! Keep it up!!