Question for 111

Posted by Don Nguyen at 03/26/2001 3:38 PM EST

Student on team #288, the RoboDawgs, from Grandville High School and Delphi/X-Rite.

I was watching the video for the 710 match and I noticed something interesting. Call me crazy but did you guys take off your ramp and put on a grabber? I never saw this at West Michigan. Maybe I’m just not as observant. Anyways congratulations guys and good luck to all at Nationals.

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/26/2001 4:23 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Question for 111
Posted by Don Nguyen on 03/26/2001 3:38 PM EST:

I recall Raul saying that the Wildstang robot have different attachments on their robot.

And as I remember from looking at their pictures, a lot of times their “ramp” attachment wasn’t on the robot. In the place where it’s supposed to be, I saw this small rectangular-shape structure piece sticking out.

By then I assumed that piece is for attaching different components… The video seems to confirm my assumption. Well, rumor has it that the Wildstang robot have 4 attachment.

The Ramp, the little arm that lower the bridge, a big ball placer, and a unknown device…

Posted by John Prather at 03/26/2001 5:04 PM EST

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian High School and Rolls Royce.

In Reply to: different attachment
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/26/2001 4:23 PM EST:

That unknown attachment is the attachment that can grab the goal like in the 710 match.

Posted by Raul at 03/26/2001 5:24 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: Question for 111
Posted by Don Nguyen on 03/26/2001 3:38 PM EST:

We have 3 attachement now and one left on the drawing board.

1 - Ramp
2 - Goal Grabber
3 - Off bridge balancing arms (similar to Beatty’s)

We also had a design for a big ball placer but changed our mind since there are so many people who do that well.

At West Michigan we did have the goal grabber attachement ready to go but never used it. We never got paired up with anyone who could balance 2 goals, so we used the ramp every time.

At Chicago we used it once in the qualifying rounds when we were paired up with Beatty and did the same thing we did in the elimination rounds.

We also used the goal balance arm in 3 matches at Chicago and successfully balanced 2 goals once. We need more practice to do this correctly when the second goal is not in line with the bridge.

We hope to mostly use our ramp at Nationals to go for high scores when we are allied with two robots that can push and pull goals onto the bridge.

The arm will be used only when our partners agree that they want to balance 2 goals but only one can pull goals over the bridge.

See you at Nationals.

Raul

: I was watching the video for the 710 match and I noticed something interesting. Call me crazy but did you guys take off your ramp and put on a grabber? I never saw this at West Michigan. Maybe I’m just not as observant. Anyways congratulations guys and good luck to all at Nationals.